Basic Kinematics Problem -- A plane flies North with a crosswind

In summary, the question involves a plane traveling at 851 km/h north and being blown off course by a 36 km/h wind from 40 degrees south of east. The resultant velocity of the plane is calculated using the x and y components of the wind and the original velocity of the plane. The resultant velocity is found to be 828.3 km/h at 88.1 degrees east of north. However, there is uncertainty in this answer and further clarification is needed on the interpretation of theta.
rr96
1. A plane is aimed north and is traveling 851 km/h. A wind blows the plane from 40° S of E at 36 km/h. What is the plane’s resultant velocity?

2. I think the answer is 828.3 km/h at 88.1° East of North but I am not sure.

Ay= 851

Bx= cosθ
cos40=x/36
x=27.6

By=sinθ
sin40=-y/36
y=-23.1

Rx=27.7

Ry=851-23.1
=827.9

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
(27.6)^2 + (827.9)^2 = c^2
c= 828.3

Using tan, θ=88.1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rr96 said:
1. A plane is aimed north and is traveling 851 km/h. A wind blows the plane from 400 S of E at 36 km/h. What is the plane’s resultant velocity?

2. I think the answer is 828.32 km/h at 88.09° East of North but I am not sure.

How did you reach your answer? We can then see where you might have gone wrong.

According to your answer, a plane originally traveling north is blown so far off course by a modest SEasterly wind that it winds up traveling almost due east. Who needs hurricanes?

If the wind is coming from the SE and the plane is traveling north, is the plane experiencing a headwind or a tailwind?

In these problems, drawing a simple sketch helps to clarify the direction of the various vector components.

We cannot see inside your head. When you make up symbols for variables, unless the meanings are blindingly obvious, please state what they represent.

The numbers look good, but I do not believe that you have interpreted the location of theta properly. Are you certain that theta is made between the y-axis and the Resultant vector i.e. east of north?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion.

2. How does a crosswind affect the motion of a plane?

A crosswind is a wind that blows perpendicular to the direction of the plane's motion. It causes the plane to drift off course and can also affect the speed and direction of the plane.

3. Why is it important to account for crosswinds in flight?

Crosswinds can significantly impact the stability and control of an aircraft, making it crucial for pilots to factor them in when planning their flight. Failure to account for crosswinds can lead to dangerous situations and accidents.

4. How do you calculate the motion of a plane with a crosswind?

To calculate the motion of a plane with a crosswind, you will need to use vector addition. This involves breaking down the velocity vectors of the plane and crosswind into their respective components and then adding them together to determine the resultant velocity and direction of the plane.

5. Can crosswinds affect the fuel efficiency of a plane?

Yes, crosswinds can affect the fuel efficiency of a plane. When a plane is flying into a headwind, it has to work harder to maintain its speed, which can lead to increased fuel consumption. Similarly, a tailwind can improve fuel efficiency as the plane needs less power to maintain its speed.