1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Pendulums Period^2 vs distance

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    In class we tested the period of different lengths of pendulums. When we squared the period and graphed it against the distance it caused a slope of 3.974 s^2/m. We kept the angles under 15 degrees. We were told that this is close to a constant and asked to figure out what that constant is and what it means, but i can not for the life of me find it in our textbook or on the internet.
    Thanks in advance.

--Saristine

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just Googled "period of simple pendulum" and immediately came upon this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum#Period_of_oscillation

Equation 1 tells you everything you need. (By the way, I find it hard to believe this wouldn't have been covered in your class.) What happens if you square both sides of the equation? You end up with something in the form:

T2 = const. * L

What is the constant supposed to be according to the formula? How does this compare to your measured slope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook