Basic Physics of Sound (acoustical)

In summary, the conversation is about creating a "reverse megaphone" or "ear trumpet" for children to use at a museum, in order to demonstrate the super hearing abilities of animals like owls. The speaker has a sheet metal manufacturer who can create it, but is unsure of the dimensions of the larger hole and length of the device. They want the smaller hole to be around an inch in diameter to prevent children from yelling through it. The device will be mounted and should be around 2-5 feet in length. The speaker also mentions wanting to ensure the safety of all users, as the device could potentially be used for yelling.
birds4life
I work for a museum, and I want to create a sort of "ear trumpet" or reverse megaphone for children to use. The purpose is to show how some animals, like owls, have super hearing. I have a sheet metal manufacturer who can create it. I'm just not sure what the dimensions of the larger hole and the length should be. We want the smaller hole to be quite small (like an inch in diameter) so children simply listen and cannot really yell through it.

Any help would be wonderful. I just want to know what dimensions would be best to demonstrate this concept. Also, this is going to mounted and should be quite large (probably around 2-5 ft in length if appropriate).

EDIT: No matter the outcome of fabrication, this listening device will certainly be safe for all users. It will be positioned in such a way that will prohibit anyone from yelling into the other end.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Err... this isn't really what you're asking, but have you thought about the liability issues with this? This situation is just begging for some 5-year old to be listening through the ear trumpet while some other 5-year old decides to scream into the other end for fun.

1. What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that is produced by vibrations in matter. These vibrations create waves that travel through a medium, such as air, and can be detected by the human ear.

2. How is sound measured?

Sound is measured in units of frequency, amplitude, and decibels. Frequency is the number of vibrations per second and is measured in Hertz (Hz). Amplitude is the strength or intensity of the sound wave and is measured in decibels (dB). Decibels are on a logarithmic scale, meaning that a 10 dB increase is perceived as a doubling of loudness.

3. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound depends on the medium through which it travels. In dry air at sea level, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second (m/s). This speed can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude.

4. What is the difference between pitch and volume?

Pitch is a measure of how high or low a sound is and is determined by its frequency. Higher frequencies are perceived as higher pitches, while lower frequencies are perceived as lower pitches. Volume, also known as loudness, is the perceived intensity of a sound and is determined by its amplitude. Higher amplitudes are perceived as louder sounds.

5. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound can travel through different mediums, such as air, water, and solids. The speed of sound and the characteristics of the sound wave (such as frequency and amplitude) can change depending on the medium. For example, sound travels faster in water than in air, and it travels even faster in solids such as steel.