1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic projectile motion question

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    If I can throw a ball on a level field with a range of 15 m, how high would the ball travel if the same throw was made vertically?

Using the range equation, I found the velocity to be 12.1 m/s, and the final answer to be 7.5m. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2
    Yes it is 7.5m assuming 15m is the maximum attainable range with that velocity.

P.S: You could have solved this question without finding the velocity (I think you get it)

Regards!
    ADI

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3
    How could you have solved without finding the velocity? I get that there must be some type of relationship between the height and the maximum range, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is.

5. Feb 1, 2014 #4
    The formula for maximum range of a projectile motion is [itex] \frac{u^{2}}{g}[/itex] ('u' being the velocity) whereas the maximum attainable height by a ball thrown vertically upwards = [itex] \frac{u^{2}}{2g}[/itex] (This can be derived using the kinematical equations). So the latter is half of the former. Got it now?

6. Feb 1, 2014 #5
    Got it, thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted