Basic question about Halbach magnet array

In summary, a magnetic Halbach array cannot have less than three magnets in the array in order to achieve the proper arrangement needed for a Halbach array. However, it is possible to create a "halbach-like" effect with two magnets in a 90° orientation, although it will not be as effective as an actual Halbach array. Putting two strong sides of a Halbach array facing each other with minimal distance between them will result in strong attraction or repulsion, depending on the orientation. The orientation is determined by placing the "N" of one magnet next to the "S" of the other and vice versa. This is not a homework problem, but rather a question for a school exhibition project.
berned_you
Gold Member
Can a magnetic Halbach array have less than three (i.e. two) magnets in the array? I can't seem to figure this out quickly with google. TIA!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. How could you get the proper arrangement needed for a Halbach array?

I guess you can get something "halbach-like" with two magnets in a 90° orientation relative to each other. Won't be as good as an actual halbach array and you have to fill it with non-ferromagnetic material if you want to get a full bar, but it would have an asymmetric field.

What is the purpose of that?

i have a question. What would happen if we put two strong sides of halbach array facing each other and with minimal distance between them?
answer needed urgently..:nb)

They will strongly attract or repel each other depending on the orientation.

mfb said:
They will strongly attract or repel each other depending on the orientation.
Can you please explain the orientation?

If you put "N" of one next to "S" of the other and vice versa they will attract, if you try to put both "N" together they will repel. If you try other orientations you'll get torque towards the attracting orientation.

Is this a homework problem?

mfb said:
If you put "N" of one next to "S" of the other and vice versa they will attract, if you try to put both "N" together they will repel. If you try other orientations you'll get torque towards the attracting orientation.

Is this a homework problem?
Nope. I am asking coz I have making something for my school exhibition.

1. What is a Halbach magnet array?

A Halbach magnet array is a special arrangement of permanent magnets that creates a strong and uniform magnetic field in a specific direction. It was first proposed by physicist Klaus Halbach in the 1970s.

2. How does a Halbach magnet array work?

A Halbach magnet array works by arranging permanent magnets in a specific pattern, with the north and south poles of each magnet facing in different directions. This arrangement creates a magnetic field that is significantly stronger than that of a single magnet.

3. What are the advantages of using a Halbach magnet array?

The main advantage of using a Halbach magnet array is the strong and uniform magnetic field it produces. This makes it useful in a variety of applications, such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation systems. Additionally, the design of a Halbach magnet array allows for less material to be used, resulting in a lighter and more efficient system.

4. What are the limitations of a Halbach magnet array?

One limitation of a Halbach magnet array is that it only produces a strong magnetic field in a specific direction, usually perpendicular to the surface of the array. This means that it may not be suitable for applications that require a magnetic field in multiple directions. Additionally, the design and construction of a Halbach magnet array can be complex and expensive.

5. How is a Halbach magnet array used in research and technology?

A Halbach magnet array has a wide range of applications in research and technology. It is commonly used in particle accelerators to steer and focus particle beams, in MRI machines to produce strong and uniform magnetic fields for imaging, and in magnetic levitation systems for transportation. It is also used in various industrial and commercial applications, such as magnetic separators and motors.