Magnetic field direction on Halbach array?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a circular Halbach Array with an amplified magnetic field away from the array rather than towards its inner diameter or exterior circumference. The use of traditional fridge magnets and wedge/arc shaped magnets is mentioned, as well as the potential for using N50 cube magnets in a circle pattern. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use specific magnetic segments from k&j magnetics to achieve the desired array structure.
kodachrome
Hi, hopefully someone here can help me! I'm interested in Halbach Arrays and specifically I want to make a circular array in which the field is amplified away from the array (as in above or below it), not to its inner diameter (or exterior circumference).

Is this possible?
On the web I've seen images of wedge/arc shaped magnets making circular arrays but the fields seem to be within the same "plane" as the magnets (inner circle and outer circumference).
The traditional straight "fridge magnet" 5 cube-magnet Halbach array does what I want but I need it physically in a circle.. what happens if you make the line say 15 cubes long and make it loop around on itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but assembling multiple fridge magnets (or similar) in a loop is certainly possible, and will give a large magnetic field outside close to the ring with a small magnetic field inside the ring.

Sounds more like you are describing the normal inner/out configuration. I'm looking to do something more like this (though not with the pricey arc/wedge magnets):
Halbach.jpg

Id like to build two, with opposing polarities.. I'm now thinking how one "chooses" the polarity of the strong side too?

You can form any shape with the fridge magnets or their equivalents. Note that you don't get those large arrows: the field is only notable close to the magnets.

Thanks... to clarify however I am not using fridge magnets, only mentioned them as they are straight lines vs and arc shaped halbach array. I'll be using N50 cube magnets arranged in circle pattern.

kodachrome, the array you're talking about should be possible with the correct set magnetic field orientations. What you want are the north and south poles of every other magnet to be facing perpendicular to the array assembly, like an axle going through a wheel, rather than toward the center and exterior of your array structure. So those magnets need to be magnetized in what is known as the thickness direction. Take a look at k&j magnetics for their selection of magnetic segments. You would use the AY0X030-C and AY0X030-T magnets for the array you're describing. The AY0X030-C, AY0X030-S, and AY0X030-N magnets are used for the array you mentioned that you commonly see where the strong field is within the inner circle. Hope that helps!

1. What is a Halbach array?

A Halbach array is a special arrangement of permanent magnets that produces a strong and uniform magnetic field on one side while cancelling out the field on the other side. This unique design is commonly used in applications such as motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

2. How does the magnetic field direction on a Halbach array differ from other magnet configurations?

The magnetic field direction on a Halbach array is different from other magnet configurations because the magnets are arranged in a specific pattern that creates a strong and focused magnetic field on one side while minimizing the field on the other side. This results in a more efficient use of the magnetic field and can produce stronger and more uniform fields compared to traditional magnet configurations.

3. What factors affect the direction of the magnetic field on a Halbach array?

The direction of the magnetic field on a Halbach array is primarily determined by the orientation and arrangement of the magnets, as well as the shape and size of the array. Other factors that can influence the field direction include the strength and type of magnets used, the distance between the magnets, and the presence of any external magnetic fields.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field on a Halbach array be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field on a Halbach array can be changed by altering the orientation or arrangement of the magnets. This can be achieved by physically rotating the magnets or by using electromagnets to control the magnetic field direction. The ability to change the field direction makes Halbach arrays highly versatile and useful in a variety of applications.

5. What are some common applications of Halbach arrays?

Halbach arrays are used in a wide range of applications, including magnetic levitation (maglev) trains, particle accelerators, magnetic separation devices, and electric motors. They are also commonly used in research and industrial settings for experiments and testing that require strong and uniform magnetic fields.