Does Changing Mass Affect Velocity and Momentum?

• Thread starter HazelDryad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, momentum is a product of mass and velocity, and if one variable increases, the other must decrease in order to maintain a constant momentum. This means that if mass increases, velocity must decrease, and vice versa. This also applies to changes in momentum, where a decrease in mass results in an increase in velocity and vice versa.
HazelDryad
I am a little confused about how momentum works.

If the mass were to increase, would the velocity also increase?
If the mass were to increase, would the momentum also increase?
If the mass was to decrease, would the velocity also decrease?
If the velocity was to increase, would the momentum also increase?

I was told that if mass were to decrease, then the velocity would actually increase. I'm not sure if this is true, so if someone could answer these questions, I'd appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there

Hope this is acurate, and might be worth double checking.

What I know is momentum = mass x velocity
Call momentum p

Lets take a car with mass 500kg movin at velocity 1m/s
p = m x v
= 500 x 1
= 500 kg.m/s

Now the same mass at a slower velocity of 0.9m/s
p = m x v
= 500 x 0.9
= 450 kg.m/s
here we have a decrease in p

Now let's look at a bullet with mass 5g moving at 400m/s
p = m x v
= 0.005 x 400
= 2 kg.m/s
So the the momentum is not great here

If you are keeping momentum constant, then, as the equation dictates, if mass goes down, velocity must go up. if velocity goes down, then mass must go up. once again, this is only if momentum is constant.

[tex]p=mv[/tex]

What is momentum?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that refers to the quantity of motion an object has. It is a product of an object's mass and velocity, and its direction is the same as the direction of its velocity.

How is momentum calculated?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity. The unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg·m/s).

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that it is conserved. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. Since momentum is a vector quantity, it has both magnitude and direction. If an object is moving in the opposite direction of its velocity, its momentum will be negative.

How is momentum different from inertia?

Momentum and inertia are related concepts, but they are not the same. Inertia refers to an object's resistance to change in its state of motion, while momentum refers to the quantity of motion an object has. In other words, inertia is the property of matter that causes it to resist changes in its motion, while momentum is the measure of how much an object will resist changes in its motion.