Basic Set Theory: Can You Accommodate Countable Guests?

In summary, this conversation discusses the hypothetical scenario of a hotel with a countable number of rooms and whether it can accommodate a traveler or a tour bus with an infinite number of passengers without kicking anyone out. The concept of an impossible object is also mentioned in relation to this problem.
saadsarfraz
I found this question in a book.

Q-Suppose you own a hotel with a countable number of rooms. One night a
traveler wishes to stay in your hotel, but all the rooms are occupied. Can
you give him a room without kicking anybody out of the hotel? What if
a tour bus shows up with countably many passengers, all wanting a room?
(Assume each room only accommodates one person.)

I would assume the answer is no since the hotel is completely occupied but something tells me that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
saadsarfraz said:
I found this question in a book.

Q-Suppose you own a hotel with a countable number of rooms. One night a
traveler wishes to stay in your hotel, but all the rooms are occupied. Can
you give him a room without kicking anybody out of the hotel? What if
a tour bus shows up with countably many passengers, all wanting a room?
(Assume each room only accommodates one person.)

I would assume the answer is no since the hotel is completely occupied but something tells me that's not right.

Say you indexed the rooms with the natural numbers. Simply give room n+1 to the person who is in room n. Then room one becomes free.

but it says all the rooms are occupied? giving room n+1 to the nth person would mean that one room was already empty isn't it?

In a similar paradox, there is a comic book where every 4 or 5 issues they reprint an old issue - if they continue indefinitely will every issue be reprinted?

Most people say no, because of the increasing gap between the number of new issues and reprints.

saadsarfraz said:
but it says all the rooms are occupied? giving room n+1 to the nth person would mean that one room was already empty isn't it?
Which room would that be? You can move the person in room 1 to room 2, leaving room 1 empty. And room 2 is open because the person in room 2 has moved to room 3. Which is itself open since the person in room 3 has moved to room 4, etc.
IF there were only a finite number of rooms that would eventually terminate- but there are an infinite number of rooms.

In fact, when that bus with countably many passengers shows up, we can create room for all of them by moving the person in room n to room 2n, leaving all the odd numbered rooms empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
saadsarfraz said:

That's because you're using your intuition for an object that doesn't exist. This is a math problem where phrasing it in terms of a hotel may help people visualize what's going on easier. On the other hand, real world, common sense notions may not make sense for an impossible object.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for understanding mathematical concepts such as numbers, functions, and infinity.

2. What is a countable set?

A countable set is a set that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that the elements of the set can be counted and listed in a finite or infinite sequence.

3. How do you determine if a set is countable or uncountable?

A set is countable if it is finite or if it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. If a set cannot be counted in this way, it is uncountable.

4. How can you accommodate countable guests using set theory?

In set theory, the concept of cardinality is used to measure the size of a set. By using the concept of countable sets, we can ensure that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set of guests and the set of natural numbers, allowing us to accommodate all the guests in a systematic manner.

5. What are some examples of countable sets?

Some examples of countable sets include the set of positive integers, the set of even integers, and the set of rational numbers. These sets can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers, making them countable.