Solve Basic Sets Question: Abbott's Understanding Analysis

• Thread starter DavidWhitbeck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the validity of using induction to prove that the compliment of the union of a countably infinite family of sets is equal to the intersection of the compliments. The participants discuss the concept of infinity and how it can be interpreted differently in different contexts. They also discuss the use of induction and provide alternative proofs for the statement. Ultimately, the conversation helps the initial poster to understand why they were struggling with the concept of infinite collections of sets.
DavidWhitbeck
[SOLVED] Basic sets question

It's been years since I've taken analysis, and so I thought I would have a refresher by studying Abbott's Understanding Analysis.

Anyway to the point-- there is a simple exercise in the beginning that stumps me (don't laugh I'm a physicist).

First of all I am fine with, and have proven that [tex](\cup_{n=1}^{N}A_n)^{c} = \cap_{n=1}^{N}A_n^c[/tex] using induction, but I don't see why induction can't be used to say that [tex](\cup_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n)^{c} = \cap_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n^c[/tex]?

Abbott then wants me, the reader, to prove that set equality if it's valid using another method. There was a hint given, and that was to use the fact that if [tex]B_1 \supset B_2 \supset \cdots[/tex] and each [tex]B_n[/tex] is countably infinite, their intersection [tex]\cap_{n=1}^{\infty}B_n[/tex] does not have to be.

The only natural construction of sets that I could think of that would fit with the hint would be something like [tex]B_m = \cup_{n=m}^{\infty}A_n[/tex] or perhaps [tex]B_m = \cap_{n=1}^{m}A_n^c[/tex] so that [tex]B_1 \supset B_2 \supset \cdots[/tex] is satisfied and I have an expression either way that appears in the conjecture.

It's probably a standard result, but I can't figure it out, can someone help me with this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi David! :smile:

Hint: try B_n is all the real numbers between 0 and 1/n. :smile:

Oh well I already have an example for when the intersection is not countably infinite, if that's what you meant.

I am supposed to use that fact to help solve the problem that I'm actually concerned with-- is the compliment of the union of a countably infinite family of sets the intersection of the compliment?

I think Abbott is trying to get at a round about way that the order of the compliment of the union is not the same as the intersection of the compliments. Thanks btw for the reply.

Don't stop at countable do uncounntable too muhahaha
let ' denote complement (^c not confusing enough)
is x' a devivative a complement or alternate value i'll never tell
we desire to show
Union(A_i)'=Intersection(A_i')
Blech another homomorphism blasted things are every where
usual argument A=B iff x є A(resp B)->x є B(resp A)
supose U=union A=A_i ~=not
xє(UA)'->~xєUA->~xєA (all i)->stuff->xєIntersection(A')
do similar stuff to show
xєIntersection(A')->xє(UA)'
similarly show
Intersection(A_i)'=Union(A')

note: above valid for finite,countable, and uncountable cases

DavidWhitbeck said:
but I don't see why induction can't be used to say that [tex](\cup_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n)^{c} = \cap_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n^c[/tex]?
What does induction do? You prove it for a base case and then show that given that it is true for any integers k, k-1, k-2, ... down to your base case, that it is true for k+1. Therefore, you conclude that it's true for every integer greater than your base value.

So why doesn't this show the infinite case? (whatever that may mean, there's a lot of different infinities) Well, so let's say that we can prove our statement P(1), and this implies that we can prove P(2), which let's us prove P(3), and so on. We can keep counting as far as we want. When do we ever reach infinity?

The problem is that the term "infinity" can be ambiguous. Sometimes when someone says infinity, they mean "large, arbitrary value" (e.g. when a limit is taken to infinity), but in other cases, such as the problem that you are looking at, it actually means a set with an infinite members such as the set of integers or the set of real numbers. I.e., the set is not just arbitrarily large; it actually has too many to count with ANY finite number (some call this the distinction between potential and actual infinity)

---

David: I don't understand the "hint" because it seems to be hinting that the statement is false, but I'm pretty sure I came up with a proof. (By the way tiny-tim's counter example doesn't work. De Morgan's Law holds for every interpretation of his statement I could think of. I think tiny-tim was thinking about a counter example to a similar claim in Topology). Although lurflurf's post is a little confusing and misleading, he essentially gives a sketch of the proof.

Last edited:
Thanks Luke for explaining why induction doesn't work, and thanks lurflurf for providing a proof that doesn't rely on induction. It was so similar to how I proved the n=2 case that I could kick myself for not seeing that it can be easily generalized.

Luke your post especially made it clear to me why I was having trouble with infinite collections of sets (this isn't an isolated case) I was thinking of infinity in terms of large, arbitrary value which is was driving me in circles.

1. What is Abbott's Understanding Analysis?

Abbott's Understanding Analysis is a textbook written by Stephen Abbott that introduces the fundamentals of real analysis, including topics such as limits, continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

2. What are basic sets in Abbott's Understanding Analysis?

Basic sets in Abbott's Understanding Analysis refer to the foundational sets used in real analysis, including the real numbers, natural numbers, and rational numbers. These sets are used to define and understand more complex mathematical concepts.

3. How do you solve basic sets questions in Abbott's Understanding Analysis?

To solve basic sets questions in Abbott's Understanding Analysis, it is important to have a strong understanding of the foundational concepts and definitions presented in the textbook. You can then use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to work through the problems and arrive at a solution.

4. Why is Abbott's Understanding Analysis important for scientists?

Abbott's Understanding Analysis is important for scientists because it provides a rigorous foundation for understanding and analyzing real-world phenomena using mathematical concepts. It also helps scientists develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for conducting scientific research.

5. Can Abbott's Understanding Analysis be used for advanced mathematical topics?

Yes, Abbott's Understanding Analysis can be used for advanced mathematical topics such as complex analysis, functional analysis, and measure theory. The textbook provides a solid understanding of real analysis, which is necessary for tackling more complex mathematical concepts.