Basics to electrical components help for PLCs and uCs

In summary: So a microcontroller is a small computer that is used to control a larger computer. Is that correct?Yes, that's correct.
yoloswag
I'm a non-electrical engineering student however want to gain knowledge and experience with different electrical programming systems. I'm confused however as to all the different components and their differences. For example, why/when would you choose a PLC over an Arduino board or do these two even compare? I'm primarily interested in things that will help in the construction of robots, automation tools, etc. so like how certain sensors work, circuitboards, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
PLCs are industrially hardened to be able to withstand high amounts of electrical noise. They're preferred for industrial settings and other harsh locations.

You'll learn by doing. Search for hobby sites like discovercircuits.com, sparkfun.com, amasci, tinaja, there are plenty around. Read up and build something.

I recently discovered the Make Magazine electronics books. I think its pretty much what you are looking for. They give a lot of information without going into an engineering level of detail along with a bit of humor, historical footnotes, color photos, and equipment recommendations. Its very much geared toward a practical level of knowledge.

I used to program PLCs to control the operation of riderless cranes used to store and retrieve pallets in warehouses. There are several advantages in addition to those already mentioned in such applications. First, the program is entered in as ladder logic, a representation of electrical diagram that electricians are already familiar with. This means it doesn't take a programmer to maintain the code, an electrician can do it. Second, with the PLC I used, the conduction path through the circuit lights up, that is to say the symbols change to bold font so that it is easy to follow exactly what is happening with the program as it is running.

On these cranes there was a second computer programmed in assembler that did functions the PLC couldn't do such as translating commands from the mainfram to to PLC, maintaining lists of prohibited locations and so on. I spent perhaps a fifth the time working on and correcting my code than the other programmer did on his, and it wasn't because I was a better programmer. It's just a lot easier to program a PLC than it is a microcontroller.

The advantages of a PLC over a uC are:
Designed for harsh environments
Ease of programming - if you understand relay circuits you can program PLCs
Ease of maintenance and troubleshooting

The advantages of a uC over a PLC are:
Ability to perform much more complex tasks
Able to do functions a PLC does with difficulty or not at all

Last edited:
Great feedback, thanks for the replies. So my understanding is that PLCs are good for industrial control of certain processes while microcontrollers are used for more complex, in-depth operations. Is this correct? What are some more real-world examples of where a uC would be used in place of a PLC?

yoloswag said:
Great feedback, thanks for the replies. So my understanding is that PLCs are good for industrial control of certain processes while microcontrollers are used for more complex, in-depth operations. Is this correct? What are some more real-world examples of where a uC would be used in place of a PLC?

a PLC is more of an application of microcontrollers. Its more of a complete system, with a power supply and an operating system and an easier to use interface, whereas a microcontroller is just a chip.

So what other kinds of uC's are there like CPU's? Is a GPU considered a microprocessor?

CPUs and GPU's are microprocessors, but not microcontrollers.

A microcontroller sort of a general purpose self-contained computer. It has its own program memory, RAM, and input/output. Microprocessors have to get that functionality from other parts of the computer.

To get a better idea of what to use them for, think of a car engine's fuel injection and ignition system. You'd have a table of data that would tell you how long to pulse the injectors at a certain throttle and certain RPM, and you'd have a optimal time to fire the spark plugs. It might also need some ability to change timings as the engine ages. But once you programmed it once, you'd probably never need to program it again. And certainly the average driver wouldn't need to program it. It doesn't need a operating system, or anything more than a tiny amount of memory and storage. Thus, it is a perfect application for a uC.

Last edited:

1. What are the basic components of a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) and uC (microcontroller)?

The basic components of a PLC include a central processing unit (CPU), input/output (I/O) modules, memory, power supply, and communication modules. A uC typically consists of a CPU, memory, I/O ports, timers/counters, and analog-to-digital converters (ADC).

2. What is the purpose of a PLC and uC in industrial automation?

A PLC is used for controlling and monitoring industrial processes, while a uC is used for controlling and processing data in various electronic devices. Both are crucial for automation as they can perform tasks accurately and quickly, improving efficiency and productivity.

3. What types of electrical components can be connected to a PLC and uC?

PLCs and uCs can connect to a wide range of electrical components such as sensors, switches, motors, relays, solenoids, and actuators. These components allow for the monitoring and control of various physical processes in industrial automation systems.

4. What is the difference between analog and digital I/O in PLCs and uCs?

Analog I/O deals with continuously varying signals, while digital I/O deals with discrete signals that are either ON or OFF. PLCs and uCs have both analog and digital I/O capabilities, allowing them to interface with different types of devices and systems.

5. How can one troubleshoot and diagnose issues with electrical components connected to a PLC or uC?

To troubleshoot and diagnose issues with electrical components, one can use diagnostic tools and software provided by the manufacturer. These tools can help in identifying faulty components, checking connections, and monitoring system performance. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the system and its components to effectively troubleshoot any issues.