Industrial Electrical Wiring Codes/Practices

In summary, The NEC is a good reference for understanding the standards for wiring in industrial control equipment.
djc9273
I'm a mechanical engineer by training. At my current job, I'm designing automation equipment for various processes. Part of that design involves designing basic power circuits to power all the Controllers, robots, PLCs, sensors, etc..

I'm looking for national or state (Massachusetts) codes on industrial wiring (i.e. minimum wire gauge per load, fuse/breaker sizing, grounding practices).

Even some literature on proper industrial wiring (not necessarily a code) would be helpful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you consider googling "massechusetts wiring regulations codes"?
It will give you just what you want, I think.
It's what I did - my very first reaction. It's amazing what Google can do for you.

Yeah, I looked around the obvious google search stuff. Most of it is directed at household/facilities wiring. What I'm interested in is the wiring inside a machine.

I can't read the Mass state code without buying it, so I'm not sure if there's anything relevant to what I'm looking for in there. I was hoping someone who knows where this info is could tell me where I need to look (or what code books I should buy) to find it.

I highly doubt that the wiring/circuitry inside a machine is regulated by the state/county/city.

The NEC (National Electrical Code) is the general standard for the wiring practices you mention -- grounding, load ratings, etc.

The current NEC can be viewed online (free registration).
http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=70

Found what I was looking for: UL 1740

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/tocs/tocs.asp?doc=s&fn=1740.toc [Broken]

Discusses machine/robot wiring and construction standards.

The NEC code will be helpful, too.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Refer to UL 508 - Industrial Control Equipment, if the enclosure / system is to be inspected by UL this will be the standard they review against. UL 1740 is for Robotics, which may apply - but deals more with safety system requirements like interlocks, process control, physical clearances etc.

And yes buy a copy of the NEC, always a handy reference, but you may want to track down an industrial electrician to discuss with when you have questions.

IMO - since we are talking about SAFETY - I would advise to use a consultant. While I have designed and built a number of mechanical systems - they were not safety related, I would not want my seatbelts designs by an EE - so I do not think electrical safety should be designed by a Mech E...

1. What are the basic principles of industrial electrical wiring codes/practices?

The basic principles of industrial electrical wiring codes/practices include safety, functionality, and efficiency. These codes and practices ensure that electrical systems in industrial settings are installed and maintained in a way that prioritizes the safety of workers and the general public, while also ensuring that the system functions properly and efficiently.

2. What are the main differences between residential and industrial electrical wiring codes?

The main differences between residential and industrial electrical wiring codes lie in the scale and complexity of the systems. Industrial systems typically require higher voltage and current capacity, as well as more advanced protective measures to prevent accidents and equipment damage. Additionally, industrial codes often have stricter regulations for installation and maintenance due to the potential for larger consequences in case of failure.

3. What are some common types of industrial electrical wiring systems?

Some common types of industrial electrical wiring systems include conduit and cable tray systems, raceway systems, and busway systems. Conduit and cable tray systems involve running wires through pipes or trays to protect them from damage. Raceway systems use metal or plastic channels to enclose and protect wires. Busway systems consist of a busbar (conductive metal strip) that carries power, with individual connections made to it using tap-off boxes.

4. How often should industrial electrical systems be inspected?

Industrial electrical systems should be inspected regularly, with the frequency depending on the type and size of the system. Generally, systems should be inspected annually, but some larger or more complex systems may require more frequent inspections. It is important to also perform routine maintenance and repairs as needed to ensure the system remains safe and functional.

5. What are some common safety hazards associated with industrial electrical wiring?

Some common safety hazards associated with industrial electrical wiring include electric shock, arc flash, and fire. These hazards can be caused by faulty wiring, improper installation, or inadequate maintenance. It is important to follow all safety codes and practices, as well as use personal protective equipment, when working with industrial electrical systems to minimize these risks.