Finding basis and dimension of image for F(x,y,z) = 3x-2y+z

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
lkh1986
Messages
96
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given a linear transformation F: R^3 --> R, F(x,y,z) = 3x-2y+z, find I am (F) and dim (Im (F))



Homework Equations



I have found that dim(ker F) = 2 and from the theorem dim (V) = dim (Ker F) + dim (Im F), I know dim (V) = 3, so dim (Im F) = 1.


The Attempt at a Solution



Im (F) = {F(x,y,z) | (x,y,z) inside R^3}
= (3x2y+z | x, y, z inside R}
= {R}
= L(1)

The vector (1) forms the basis for the image of F. Dim (Im F) = 1.

Is this the correct solution? It seems correct to me, since (1) is the standard basis for the vector space R.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Quite correct. You didn't even need to use the theorem. F(0,0,z)=z. It's pretty clear from that that Im(F)=R, right? And dim(R)=1.