Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis of the kernel

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    Find a basis for Ker T that contains S = [tex]\begin{pmatrix}
    1\\
    0\\
    1\\
    0\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/tex], [tex]\begin{pmatrix}
    0\\
    1\\
    0\\
    2\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/tex] where [tex]T : R^4 -> R^4[/tex] is defined by

[tex]T\begin{pmatrix}
    1\\
    b\\
    c\\
    d\\
    \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
    a - b - c\\
    a - 2b + c\\
    0\\
    0\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Well, I have found a basis 'B' for Ker (T) to be B ={[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
    3\\
    2\\
    1\\
    0\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/tex], [tex]\begin{pmatrix}
    0\\
    0\\
    0\\
    1\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/tex]}.

I noticed that the two sets of vectors S and B are linearly independent of one another. Does this mean that there is no basis for Ker(T) that contains S, as a basis must be a minimal spanning set? Or have I gone astray somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps you should reread the problem. "Find a basis for the kernel of T that includes <1, 0, 1, 0> and <0, 1, 0, 2>" makes no sense as it is easy to see that those two vectors are NOT in the kernel of T and so cannot be in any basis for that kernel.

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    Alright, that is what I had thought but just wanted to verify it with someone. Thank you very much!

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For future reference: A problem that says "Find a basis for vector space V that include vectors v1 and v2" , assuming v1 and v2 are in V and are independent, means that you are to find a basis that includes those two vectors and possibly more.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?