Batteries connected in parallel

In summary: Trouble can start when the cells in a battery pack are connected in parallel without a controller circuit like those used in Remote Control Propelled Vehicles (RCProps). Without a controller, each cell in the pack is independently charged, which can lead to uneven charging and potential battery damage.
Astronaut500
When 5 batteries are connected in parallel, how can I find the equivalent current that it gives? What is the formula for calculating that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not connect batteries in parallel! Ever.

Likes Nidum
Astronaut500 said:
When 5 batteries are connected in parallel, how can I find the equivalent current that it gives? What is the formula for calculating that?
When you connect batteries in parallel, you will get a combined power source that has a smaller internal resistance than a single battery. The main significant effect is that that the combination is a greater fire hazard if you short circuit it.

hilbert2 said:
When you connect batteries in parallel, you will get a combined power source that has a smaller internal resistance than a single battery. The main significant effect is that that the combination is a greater fire hazard if you short circuit it.

Oh I get it, you are right. The current output depends on the resistance of the circuit, it cannot be found without sufficient information

Likes CWatters
Dale said:
It's not as bad as that. If the batteries are all new, the same capacity and design (and manufacturer) and they stay connected all their lives then they will survive to a ripe old age. It's standard practice in large standby systems. I remember visiting an old telephone exchange and the battery room had shelves full of large accumulators, connected in series / parallel. They could supply the exchange for the longest power cut ever envisaged and the batteries lasted for many years.
otoh, an old, discharged and knackered battery will soon knacker a new charged battery if placed in parallel with it.

Likes cnh1995
sophiecentaur said:
knacker

Thanks for the Christmas present. You expanded my vocabulary.

A well known Engineering term, applicable to anything that's on the way out - including humans.
The "knacker's" or "knacker's yard"was a term used for someone who disposed of old horses and cattle, i believe.

Likes davenn
Dale said:
Most light and medium duty diesel trucks use 2 batteries in parallel in order to provide enough current to start the engine. Heavy trucks may use more, IDK. Batteries in parallel are fine as long as they're the same chemistry. 2 batteries in parallel is essentially the same as 1 battery with plates that are twice as big. Circuit protection is required against short circuits, but that's required even for single batteries.

I have 3 extra full sized lead-acid car batteries installed in my truck in parallel with the 1 that's designed to be there to support an inverter. Fuses on both ends of the positive cable that connects them, and on the cable that supplies the inverter.

Dale said:
Why? There are battery packs with cells connected in parallel and without a controller circuit like those used in RC

Problems can definitely arise when some types of rechargeable batteries are connected in parallel .

NiCad batteries are particularly prone to damage when connected this way .

It would be better to say...

Never connect ideal voltage sources in parallel (unless they are exactly the same voltage).
Never connect ideal current sources in series (unless they are exactly the same current).
Never short circuit an ideal voltage source.
Never open circuit an ideal current source.

Real world voltage and current sources may sometimes behave close enough to ideal ones to cause safety hazards.

The operative word there is "ideal". There are not many ideal sources - unfortunately.

No one has yet answered this very simple question ..just a lot of unfounded nervousness about parallel connection.

Astronaut500 said:

First you need to find the internal resistance of the battery . 12v car batteries have an internal resistance of about 0.006 Ohms ... if you put a 0.006 Ohm load across it the total resistance is 0.012 and the current will be a thousand amps ...

If you connect 5 of these batteries in parallel you have the same 12 volts , but now with an internal resistance of 0.006/5 = 0.0012 Ohms so whatever load you put on this , you'll get a higher current than from just one battery .

Likes sophiecentaur
oz93666 said:
No one has yet answered this very simple question ..just a lot of unfounded nervousness about parallel connection.
First you need to find the internal resistance of the battery . 12v car batteries have an internal resistance of about 0.006 Ohms ... if you put a 0.006 Ohm load across it the total resistance is 0.012 and the current will be a thousand amps ...

If you connect 5 of these batteries in parallel you have the same 12 volts , but now with an internal resistance of 0.006/5 = 0.0012 Ohms so whatever load you put on this , you'll get a higher current than from just one battery .
Trouble can start when the batteries do not have equal levels of charge and one battery can be discharging through another. The nervousness is not totally unfounded - just a bit over-dramatised, perhaps. Trying the trick with a mixture a AA cells out of a drawer can be expensive and new batteries could often be a better solution.

sophiecentaur said:
Trouble can start when the batteries do not have equal levels of charge and one battery can be discharging through another.

Well , all that's happening in that case is that one that's more full charges up the more empty , not a problem , unless one is very flat and the type of battery has a low internal resistance , then the charge exchange might be a little excessive ...

Ah I've just seen my error I assumed we were talking about rechargeables ! You are correct!

The real disappointment is connecting Li batteries in series , they can be discharged in series , but established wisdom is that they should have a 'balanced charger' which has to have a connection to each cell to track the voltage of each cell ...that said , some don't bother with this without too many problems.

derek10 said:
Why? There are battery packs with cells connected in parallel and without a controller circuit like those used in RC

If the cells are connected when new this is OK ... but if a new cell is connected with a half full cell the full one will try to charge up the half empty , not good if the cell is not rechargeable.

Dale said:
You should give reason/explanation why not ! People do this all the time,,,,,,

1. How do batteries connected in parallel affect the overall voltage output?

When batteries are connected in parallel, the overall voltage output remains the same as a single battery. This is because the positive terminals are connected to each other and the negative terminals are connected to each other, essentially creating one larger battery with the same voltage output.

2. Do batteries connected in parallel increase the overall battery life?

Yes, connecting batteries in parallel can increase the overall battery life. This is because the total capacity of the batteries is increased, allowing for a longer period of use before the batteries need to be replaced or recharged.

3. Can batteries with different capacities be connected in parallel?

It is not recommended to connect batteries with different capacities in parallel. This can lead to unequal charging and discharging, which can cause damage to the batteries and decrease their overall lifespan.

4. How does connecting batteries in parallel affect the overall current output?

Connecting batteries in parallel increases the overall current output. This is because the current is divided among the batteries, allowing for a larger total current output. However, it is important to note that the current output should not exceed the maximum current rating of the individual batteries.

5. Are there any safety concerns when connecting batteries in parallel?

Connecting batteries in parallel can be potentially dangerous if not done properly. It is important to ensure that all batteries have the same voltage and capacity, and are connected with the correct polarity to avoid short circuits. Also, it is important to monitor the batteries to prevent overcharging or discharging, which can lead to damage or failure.