Battery temperature while charging

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a homemade powerbank using a li-ion battery and a boost converter. While the powerbank successfully charges a phone, the battery and converter become very hot. The conversation then turns to seeking advice and theories for the cause of the high temperature. The thread on a forum discussing a similar topic is referenced, with the question of whether the charge current was above 100mA. The conversation concludes with a warning from a forum moderator about discussing dangerous topics and the closure of the thread. A related image of a cellphone fire is also mentioned.
Akmalidin
Hello,
I am made a powerbank myself with li ion battery. I used boost converter and everything is fine, charging my phone. But the li ion battery and my boost converter is getting really hot while charging my phone.The battery capacity is 4400mah. I don't know the reason for such temperature. Please share your experience and theories.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, I was able to get 1 amp. Last post was genuinely helpful. But again, my battery is getting hot and i don't know why. Any ideas?

I'm not comfortable with discussing this here on the PF. It falls under our dangerous topics prohibition. Sorry, this thread is closed.

https://media.consumeraffairs.com/files/cache/news/cellphone-fire-fox4_medium.jpg
cellphone-fire-fox4_medium.jpg

Likes Bystander

What is the ideal temperature for charging a battery?

The ideal temperature for charging a battery varies depending on the type of battery. However, in general, most batteries should be charged at a temperature between 50-95 degrees Fahrenheit. Extreme temperatures, either too hot or too cold, can affect the battery's performance and lifespan.

Can charging a battery at high temperatures damage it?

Yes, charging a battery at high temperatures can damage it. When a battery is charged at high temperatures, it causes the internal chemical reactions to occur more quickly, leading to a buildup of heat and potential damage to the battery cells. It is recommended to avoid charging a battery at temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

What happens if a battery is charged at low temperatures?

If a battery is charged at low temperatures, it can slow down or prevent the chemical reactions necessary for charging the battery from occurring. This can result in a slower charging time or incomplete charging. In extreme cases, charging a battery at low temperatures can also cause damage to the battery cells.

How can I tell if my battery is overheating while charging?

There are a few signs to look for to determine if your battery is overheating while charging. These include the battery feeling hot to the touch, the battery swelling or bulging, or unusual noises coming from the battery. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to stop charging the battery and allow it to cool down before using it again.

What precautions should I take when charging a battery in extreme temperatures?

If you need to charge a battery in extreme temperatures, it is best to do so slowly and monitor the battery's temperature closely. You can also try to keep the battery in a shaded or cooler area while charging. Additionally, avoid using the battery or charging it if the temperature is too extreme, as this can cause damage to the battery and potentially lead to safety hazards.