Powerbank for Bicycle: Charging a Li Ion Battery with Varying Current

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of charging a Li Ion battery with less than 1 amp and not constant current using a powerbank attached to a bicycle. The complexity of cell phone charging protocols was mentioned and the speaker expressed hope for someone to provide further details. The discussion also touched on the importance of input voltage and the availability of inexpensive modules for buck and boost voltage regulation. The speaker emphasized the need for further research to find a suitable solution.
Akmalidin
Hello,
I made powerbank for my bicycle to charge my phone while I ride it.
I am using one 4400 mah Li Ion battery. I was wandering If it is possible to charge the battery with less than 1 amp and not constant current? Because, generator I have on my bike produces 3W and it varies as I change pedaling speed.
Thank you in advance !

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a previous post here on PF, I read that cell phone charging protocols are complex. They must prevent damage because of improper charging.

Hopefully someone else can provide details, but they will need to know the make and model of your phone.

I think the model of the phone does not matter as long as 1amp 5 V is provided. But in my case, I have 5 V constant but variable current.

I have been looking at these really cheap modules on ebay, search on "LI-ion charger module" or battery charger board or similar terms. Many of these regulators are for 5V input but I found one with this title "LiPo Charger Step Down 5A 5V-32V to 0.8V-30V Power Supply Buck Module" that would cope with a wider range of input voltage typical of a human powered generator, you just need to ensure that the generator output is at least 5V after rectification most of the time.

A deeper search of more sites may find an even better suited module with lower min input voltage, this can't be a new problem, someone must have solved it previously, keep digging. Expand the search to buck and boost voltage regulators. These are generally inexpensive component modules. You don't need really pure power for charging.

Likes Carrock

1. How do I know if my powerbank is suitable for charging a Li Ion battery on a bicycle?

To determine if your powerbank is suitable for charging a Li Ion battery on a bicycle, you should check the output voltage and current of your powerbank. The output voltage should match the charging voltage of your Li Ion battery (usually around 3.7V). The output current should also be high enough to charge your Li Ion battery, which can vary but is typically between 500mA to 2A. Additionally, make sure your powerbank has a USB port, which is the standard connection for most Li Ion batteries.

2. Can I use any type of powerbank to charge my Li Ion battery on a bicycle?

No, not all powerbanks are suitable for charging a Li Ion battery on a bicycle. It is important to use a powerbank specifically designed for charging Li Ion batteries, which will have the appropriate output voltage and current. Using a powerbank with incorrect specifications can damage your battery or cause it to charge improperly.

3. What is the best way to charge a Li Ion battery on a bicycle with a powerbank?

The best way to charge a Li Ion battery on a bicycle with a powerbank is to use a USB charging cable. This allows for a direct connection between the powerbank and the battery and ensures a stable and efficient charging process. It is also recommended to use a powerbank with a higher output current to decrease the charging time.

4. Can I charge my Li Ion battery on a bicycle while riding?

Yes, you can charge your Li Ion battery on a bicycle while riding, but it is not recommended. The varying currents while riding can cause fluctuations in the charging process, which can potentially damage your battery. It is best to charge your battery while the bicycle is stationary.

5. How long does it take to fully charge a Li Ion battery on a bicycle with a powerbank?

The time it takes to fully charge a Li Ion battery on a bicycle with a powerbank depends on the capacity of your battery and the output current of your powerbank. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-8 hours to fully charge a Li Ion battery. It is important to monitor the charging process and unplug the powerbank once the battery is fully charged to avoid overcharging.