Bayesian parameter estimation via MCMC?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a model M with 20 adjustable parameters and 40-50 measured temporal profiles to predict experimental values through solving complex systems of differential equations. The individual wants to perform a Bayesian parameter estimation of the system, but due to the complexity, it is not possible to compute analytically. They mention using Macrov-Chain-Monte-Carlo (MCMC) methods to compute the posterior probability distribution and ask for recommendations on freely available software and beginner-friendly tutorials for applying these techniques.
witziger_Fuchs
Hi folks.

I have the following question. I have a model M containing 20 adjustable parameters k = {k_j}.
I also have 40-50 measured temporal profiles e = {e_i} at my disposal.

I can use M to predict the experimental values after solving complex systems of differential equations.Consequently, I get m(k) = {m_i(k)} which I can compare to e = {e_i}. Now, I want to perform a Bayesian parameter estimation of the system. I am going to define a (first) prior distribution for the parameters k: p_0(k)
Afterwards, I want to get the posterior probability distribution of k: f_p(k) = p(k|e) = L(e|k)*p_0(k)/p(e).
(Whereby p(e) represents, of course, a very complex multi-dimensional integral of "L(e|k)*p_0(k)".Naturally, I cannot compute analytically the solution.
It also stands to reason that an approximate calculation of f_p(k) (and integration of "L(e|k)*p_0(k)") would be computationally intractable. I read that Macrov-Chain-Monte-Carlo (MCMC) methods should be used for computing quantities of interest characterising the posterior (such as the points of highest probability density and high probability density regions, whose bounds can serve as error bars).
To be frank, I am a novice in that field. Do you know any MCMC software freely available to academic researchers which could carry out all these operations, given a "black box" m(k) relying on solving differential equation systems?
If so, are you also aware of any beginner-friendly introduction into the concrete application of these techniques?

I'd be very grateful for your answers.Kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi witzigerFuchs,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I just took a class on Bayesian probability and we spent quite a bit of time on the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm for sampling from the posterior distribution of the parameters. We were not analyzing differential equations so the structure of our data was each indicator had two groups of the same size and each observation was labeled $1-n$ depending on how the data could be labeled. The hardest part of this is probably finding a distribution that is proportional to the target distribution.

So while I don't know if I can give you a way to solve your question right now, I feel like it can be done through the MH algorithm or Gibbs Sampling. Both of these can be done through some packages in R (free software) if you aren't familiar with it (also get R-Studio to make it look better) I would search Google for "Metropolis hastings r" packages and maybe read up on using this algorithm in the context of Diff EQ. Hope this is a start!

1. What is Bayesian parameter estimation?

Bayesian parameter estimation is a statistical method for estimating unknown parameters of a statistical model using Bayes' theorem. It involves updating prior beliefs about the parameters based on observed data to obtain posterior distributions.

2. What is MCMC?

MCMC (Markov Chain Monte Carlo) is a computational method used to sample from complex probability distributions. It is particularly useful for Bayesian parameter estimation as it allows for the calculation of posterior distributions without the need for complicated analytical solutions.

3. How does Bayesian parameter estimation via MCMC work?

Bayesian parameter estimation via MCMC involves iteratively sampling from the posterior distribution of the parameters using Markov chain Monte Carlo methods. These samples are then used to estimate the posterior distribution and make inferences about the parameters.

4. What are the advantages of Bayesian parameter estimation via MCMC?

One of the main advantages of Bayesian parameter estimation via MCMC is its ability to incorporate prior knowledge or beliefs about the parameters into the estimation process. It also allows for the calculation of posterior distributions, which can provide a more complete understanding of the uncertainty in the estimated parameters.

5. What are some common applications of Bayesian parameter estimation via MCMC?

Bayesian parameter estimation via MCMC is commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, finance, and machine learning. It can be applied to a wide range of problems, including parameter estimation for complex models, data analysis, and prediction tasks.