Court Ruling on Student Teacher's MySpace Photo: Justified or Unjustified?

In summary: MySpace photo that her troubles started...The photo was not of a person under the legal drinking age and she had taken it at a costume party of which she was a part of and after school. It was her defense that the photo had not been taken at the time it was posted and was not promoting underage drinking.The judge ruled that she had failed to meet the standards necessary for the degree she sought, specifically in regards to her interpersonal relationships at the school and her ability to shake a bad reputation.

Suddenly, her dismissal looks a lot less of an overreaction.

Science news on Phys.org

I doubt that she would have graduated and from what I have read feel that I likely wouldn't want her to be a teacher. Still it makes me worry about the sort of precident it sets. I once flirted rather heavily with a girl at a bar only to realize later that she was a student at the college I worked at. I worried for months that she would tell someone and I would be fired. If someone can lose their job for making an oblique reference to an issue they had a work I would say that there would have been no hope for me had anyone found out about what I had done.

College is a different cup of tea. As long as there isn't a conflict of interest, it's usually ok.

I was Public Safety (security). Automatic conflict of interest.

Back