Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Featured

DrClaude

Mentor
Here are two photos; one up close un-energized and one at a distance energized.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/x-ray_off-jpg.96459/

[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/x-ray_on-jpg.96460/[/QUOTE] [Broken]
The images are broken.

Last edited by a moderator:

berkeman

Mentor
Images seem fine to me. Are you not seeing anything?

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Images seem fine to me. Are you not seeing anything?
I am also unable to see the pictures. And, when I click on them to "view image", I get a PF permission error.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
images in 121 dont show for me - firefox...

upload_2016-3-31_11-4-7.png

Click "View Image " yields

upload_2016-3-31_11-5-21.png

Attachments

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
How about now Jim?

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Whatever somebody did - i see two fine images now !

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
How'd you fix it for them?
I re-uploaded the two pics. Initially, I used the ones from the Conversation we had, hoping to save a little server space.

berkeman

Mentor
Ah, and that's why I could see them -- they were likely still in my cache. :smile:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here are a couple oldies:

In rough condition but repaired and working (w/ a old carbon filament bulb); from the Swivelier Company, Inc.

Swivelier Company.jpg

Cute little clip-on 75W 125V (with bulb); from the Leviton Manufacturing Company, Inc.

Leviton Clip-on.jpg

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My girlfriend knows what makes me happy. A couple months ago she picked up this old Western Union Telegraph Company telegraph relay. Even though it's missing the metal tag, I'm fairly sure it's the 4D, 100 ohm model. It took a lot of Q-tips to clean it up to find, MFG BY HARDWICK FIELD & LEED...

WU.jpg

The only other thing I did was to repair the broken coil lead-in wires so that it would function. Then I figured I should try to find a key (bug) so I could demonstrate it. While looking around on ebay.com, I came across a fairly old practice key that someone had tried modifying way back when; missing the buzzer and added audio transformer, vacuum tube rectifier tube, and socket. Not sure what they were trying to do. Anyway my attention shifted away from the key.

Here's the Freed-Eismann audio transformer (though about sending it to @Phanobilly for the vacuum tube amp he's building :devil:)

F-E.jpg

But this old Raytheon BH Vacuum Tube and Benjamin shock-absorbing socket makes me even happier :oldlove:.

BH.jpg

It's around 90 years old and it still works. Here's an image from a .pdf, compliments of www.clarisonus.com, introducing the tube in the October, 1926 edition of Radio News.

introbb.jpg

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
love the new additions to your collection, Don

berkeman

Mentor
this old Western Union Telegraph Company telegraph relay
I recently learned why the "relay" part of ARRL was important. Anybody else know? What a fundamental and important part of history... :smile:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I recently learned why the "relay" part of ARRL was important. Anybody else know? What a fundamental and important part of history... :smile:
Not sure; radio relay? As in hopping messages across the country?

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

berkeman

Mentor
Not sure; radio relay? As in hopping messages across the country?
Yeah, exactly. Such a primitive technology with spark coils, but with long enough Rx antennas and enough people listening, you could relay Morse code messages across the country. :smile:

wow ! this equipment is so beautiful. i just wondered
to seen it. just awesome.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been trying to get a metal deposition system put together but had to do a little beautification on this old General Radio Co. W30M Variac that I'm incorporating. Here's a outside and inside (powered & set to 140 volts) view of this 30 amp beauty. :)

Variac W30M_closed.jpg

Variac W30M_opened.jpg

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My beautiful coffee table.
coffeetable.jpg

DrClaude

Mentor
My beautiful coffee table.
That brings back memories. My father was an electrician and, when I was young, we used to use ceramic insulators (like the left-most red one in your picture, but blue) as door stops.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
... we used to use ceramic insulators (like the left-most red one in your picture, but blue) as door stops.
I can see using them like that. A blue one would be a nice addition. I've got boxes of insulators and for the most part only duplicated a few types. However different colors counted as not being duplicated. Memories is what this thread is all about.

DrClaude

Mentor
I can see using them like that. A blue one would be a nice addition. I've got boxes of insulators and for the most part only duplicated a few types. However different colors counted as not being duplicated. Memories is what this thread is all about.
I don't think my father kept them. Otherwise, I would gladly send you one. (Not sure how much it would cost to mail such a beast...)