Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
706 replies · 138K views
Averagesupernova said:
When I first acquired this radio I had to clean up the points in the vibrator. Those points are made of some of the hardest metal I have ever come across.
Iridium has been used for spark plugs and vibrator contacts because of it's high resistance to spark erosion. Platinum-Iridium 50/50 alloy is very much harder than Pt alone.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Averagesupernova, jim hardy and dlgoff
Engineering news on Phys.org
Averagesupernova said:
Horizontal gain is certainly not something you see on many scopes.
Thanks for posting your pictures. Here's my old Heathkit oscilloscope which has horizontal gain control.
heathkit scope.jpg

Horizontal gain.jpg
 
Attachments
  • heathkit scope.jpg
    heathkit scope.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 498
  • Horizontal gain.jpg
    Horizontal gain.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 484
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Averagesupernova
Averagesupernova said:
I am missing knobs, but I can make those.
This old beauty is waiting for a restore.
qvpcb7y-jpg.jpg

It was missing a knob and I found one at http://www.oldradioparts.com/.
Here's their knob page where you may be able to find the right ones for your radio: http://www.oldradioparts.com/knobs.htm

Edit: BTW I love your radio's dial face. It's in really good shape. Who manufactured your radio?
 
Attachments
  • qvpcb7y-jpg.jpg
    qvpcb7y-jpg.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Averagesupernova and jim hardy
Averagesupernova said:
... I doubt I will be attempting to measure 6 KV with it.
You never know. I've been measuring 4 kV lately doing Aluminum deposition on glass.

start-evap.jpg
 
Attachments
  • start-evap.jpg
    start-evap.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 526
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and Averagesupernova
Baluncore said:
Iridium has been used for spark plugs and vibrator contacts because of it's high resistance to spark erosion. Platinum-Iridium 50/50 alloy is very much harder than Pt alone.
Wow. Never knew that. From http://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/77/iridium
Iridium is one of the rarest elements on Earth. ...
A very thin layer of iridium exists in the Earth’s crust. It is thought that this was caused by a large meteor or asteroid hitting the Earth.
 
Averagesupernova said:
I don't have the probes with proper banana plug.
https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/p/pomona-electronics/1825-series-banana-plugs
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Averagesupernova
dlgoff said:
Edit: BTW I love your radio's dial face. It's in really good shape. Who manufactured your radio?
Admiral.
 
The owner caught me looking at this on his desk and made me take it away with me.

weston.jpg
 
Attachments
  • weston.jpg
    weston.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 886
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy and dlgoff
gmax137 said:
The owner caught me looking at this on his desk and made me take it away with me.

View attachment 214631
How cool is that? Lucky gmax. :approve:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy and gmax137
gmax137 said:
made me take it away
"Made?" Really had to twist your arm, didn't he/she?
 
Bystander said:
"Made?"

Yeah, we are consolidating office space here and everyone is having to pick & choose what to keep and what to toss. Luckily for me I have plenty of space at home for such things! And, I might have just walked past this old meter had I not been reading this thread. So thanks !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and Nidum
Are these two buttons at the bottom "Press to read" ?
upload_2017-11-9_7-47-39.png


That could be handy if like me, you get involved in troubleshooting and as often as not forget to change the range switch before touching the probe .
A 'Common Sense' feature.
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-11-9_7-47-39.png
    upload_2017-11-9_7-47-39.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 477
The left one is "Press for DC" and the right is "Press for AC." I am a novice at things electrical so I don't know how these buttons would be used. I did find a schematic on line but I have not deciphered it yet.
 
@gmax137 If you want to "clean it up", I've used Black Magic Pro Shine to make that old Bakelite look like new. It's really made for car's interior and exterior vinyl, leather and rubber surfaces.
blackmagic.jpg
 
Attachments
  • blackmagic.jpg
    blackmagic.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 468
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137 and jim hardy
dlgoff said:
If you want to "clean it up", I've used Black Magic Pro Shine to make that old Bakelite look like new.

Thanks for the tip. I used a similar product with pretty good results. Here's after just ten minutes effort:
cleaned_up_small.jpg


My previous experience is with a small radio-shack VOM. So I was curious, why is this so big and heavy? I opened it up to see what's inside. Wow. These must have been pricey when new.
Inside_small_small.jpg


The batteries are kind of interesting too. There are three, at 4.5 volts each. I shouldn't need them for the voltage and current measuring functions, right? Are they just for the resistance measuring?

battery_small.jpg
 
Attachments
  • cleaned_up_small.jpg
    cleaned_up_small.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 491
  • Inside_small_small.jpg
    Inside_small_small.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 481
  • Inside_small_small.jpg
    Inside_small_small.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 446
  • Inside_small_small.jpg
    Inside_small_small.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 430
  • battery_small.jpg
    battery_small.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 507
gmax137 said:
I opened it up to see what's inside.
Regarding the small "cotton reels" mounted on the brass bolts, are those the precision range resistors, maybe wound with manganin wire? Do any have resistance values written on them? How many digits?
 
gmax137 said:
Thanks for the tip. I used a similar product with pretty good results.
Wow. Really looks even better now. Thanks for sharing.
gmax137 said:
I shouldn't need them for the voltage and current measuring functions, right?
Right.
gmax137 said:
These must have been pricey when new.
Part of the reason can be seen in the hand cable lacing done to bundle those cloth insulated wires.
 
Baluncore said:
Regarding the small "cotton reels" mounted on the brass bolts, are those the precision range resistors, maybe wound with manganin wire? Do any have resistance values written on them? How many digits?

Here's a closer look
spools_small.jpg


They have numbers that look painted on in baby-blue. This one says "2500" and the adjacent on looks like "1500." But the paint is flaked off and it's hard to be sure. Sorry for the crappy photo.
closeup_small.jpg
 
Attachments
  • spools_small.jpg
    spools_small.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 487
  • closeup_small.jpg
    closeup_small.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 470
I'm quite impressed by how you built the setup with knob and tube wiring. Truly vintage! I'll keep you in mind as I run across old work. I ran into an old house one time that was all knob and tube, Edison fuse box and it used 24V lighting controls by means of mechanical maintain two position 5/16" round pushbutton switches. Really cool stuff. I actually pulled out an old Edison fuse box about a month ago that was in pristine condition. Too bad I pitched it already.
 
sparkie said:
I'm quite impressed by how you built the setup with knob and tube wiring. Truly vintage!
Thanks @sparkie. We need electricians on our forum. I see you went (or now going?) to KSU. Do you live here in Kansas?
 
dlgoff said:
Interesting that the meter in the video doesn't have the batteries:

Reckpn somebody took them out so they wouldn't leak and corrode ? I was surprised to see them still in gmax's meter. He must live someplace dry...
 
jim hardy said:
I was surprised to see them still in gmax's meter.
Me too. And they look in such good condition that they might still have some charge. :olduhh:
 
dlgoff said:
Thanks @sparkie. We need electricians on our forum. I see you went (or now going?) to KSU. Do you live here in Kansas?

Why yes I am. And I'm currently going. Knowing your in Kansas I'll make sure to shoot you a PM if I demo out any old equipment you may find interesting, but there isn't a ton of old work around here. Back home we had a LOT of old houses we did upgrades on. It is the vast majority of our work.
 
sparkie said:
Why yes I am. And I'm currently going. Knowing your in Kansas I'll make sure to shoot you a PM if I demo out any old equipment you may find interesting, but there isn't a ton of old work around here. Back home we had a LOT of old houses we did upgrades on. It is the vast majority of our work.
Awesome. I'm a KU grad. Rock Chalk Jayhawk. :devil:
PM me if there's anything I can help you with in your studies, etc. Nice to have another Kansan PF member. You, @Evo, and myself are the only ones that I know of.

Regards

 
Attachments
  • triplett-360-a-jpg.jpg
    triplett-360-a-jpg.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 417
dlgoff said:
Kansan
Oh? 'Nother one? Like me?