Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.
- Thread starter dlgoff
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Beauty Electrical Measuring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
706 replies · 138K views
Engineering news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
jim hardy said:Reckpn somebody took them out so they wouldn't leak and corrode ? I was surprised to see them still in gmax's meter. He must live someplace dry...
dlgoff said:Me too. And they look in such good condition that they might still have some charge.![]()
I'm in Connecticut. So it is dry. Not bone dry like the desert southwest, but al lot drier than south Florida or New Orleans. I checked the battery voltage and two of them read close to 1 volt while the third doesn't read anything. They are marked 4.5 volts.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
sparkie
- 51
- 30
dlgoff said:Awesome. I'm a KU grad. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.
PM me if there's anything I can help you with in your studies, etc. Nice to have another Kansan PF member. You, @Evo, and myself are the only ones that I know of.
Hey I will keep that in mind. I've been struggling quite a bit (mostly due to time constraints), however I think I'll end the semester with an A and two B's which isn't bad for the work schedule. I'm curious as to where you got the knobs? Did you take them from old places or do they still manufacture them? Usually they get pretty torn up when demoing.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Great grades. 
Edit: Note that I've added the Swiviller socket that has an old carbon filament medical bulb.

I took these out of my parents old house. Also the nails are the originals from these insulators. It took some effort to not damage them when removing, as those nails had been in some really old and hard wood. Here's another look at them.sparkie said:I'm curious as to where you got the knobs? Did you take them from old places or do they still manufacture them? Usually they get pretty torn up when demoing.
Edit: Note that I've added the Swiviller socket that has an old carbon filament medical bulb.
Attachments
Windadct
- 1,452
- 411
Motor turned up in my LinkedIn feed
Crypto Works Co Ltd of London. Machine no 5568, 65 volt, 4.5 amps, 2200 rpm. I (the Linked in OP) believe this motor was made between 1904 and when the company went out of production in 1909.
Crypto Works Co Ltd of London. Machine no 5568, 65 volt, 4.5 amps, 2200 rpm. I (the Linked in OP) believe this motor was made between 1904 and when the company went out of production in 1909.
Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Now that's a motor. I wonder if it could be made to run again? Here's a "ad" I found from https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/:Windadct said:Machine no 5568, 65 volt, 4.5 amps, 2200 rpm.
Thanks for sharing @Windadct .
Attachments
stephenkohnle53
You should make a gravity fed mercury vacuum pump, I forget who invented it, I think it was Edison but I don't remember. If you want to make it go here . That guy is named cody he has a youtube channel called codys lab and he usually does diy stuff and general education things on his channel. The pump is called a Sprengel Vacuum pump and I think it is really cool. You should modify the design so that the mercury pours itself to make the vacuum. Also do you guys know if you could use a safer material for it?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
stephenkohnle53 said:You should make a gravity fed mercury vacuum pump, ...
A better option than the Sprengel pump is the diffusion pump.
from https://www.tungsten.com/tips/diffusion-pumps/
In the early days, diffusion pumps used mercury as the operating fluid. As you might imagine, such a thing would be frowned upon today due to the toxicity of mercury vapors. Today, the use of mercury in diffusion pumps is essentially zero.
stephenkohnle53 said:I forget who invented it, ...
Hermann Sprengel is credited for inventing the Sprengel pump.
Wolfgang Max Paul Gaede is credited for inventing the mercury diffusion pump in 1913.
stephenkohnle53 said:... do you guys know if you could use a safer material ...
Silicon oil is used today in diffusion pumps. See https://www.tungsten.com/tips/diffusion-pumps/ for how they work.
Last edited:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
DrClaude said:*speechless*
After two hours of googling, I would recommend reading this persons comment from below the video, before doing the same:
Jayyy Zeee
I have a degree in computer science and electrical engineering, have been working professionally in the field for over 20 years, and I have no clue how that coil stores bits.
also speechless
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,943
- 1,575
I would assume it 'stores bits' the same way a shift register who's output feeds its input. There are roulette games based on this. A shift register is loaded with a single bit set to one out of however many wide the register is. For the sake of discussion let's say 24 bits wide. There is an oscillator that runs to shift this single bit around and around. The oscillator is set so it's frequency decays off and it simply stops. Where this single bit that is loaded with a one stops may or may not be where the player guessed it would be.
=
It is the same with this coil except it is mechanical. There is no need for a clock oscillator to keep the 'bits' moving as this is just a natural property of the coil. I will say it is hard to believe they could get that to work, but it is plausible. I wonder how long was needed to store what they needed to store? How many times around?
-
This may be nitpicking, but can this thing truly be called 100% electronic considering the coil is technically mechanical? At any rate, someone must have had a bad dream to think that thing up. LOL
=
It is the same with this coil except it is mechanical. There is no need for a clock oscillator to keep the 'bits' moving as this is just a natural property of the coil. I will say it is hard to believe they could get that to work, but it is plausible. I wonder how long was needed to store what they needed to store? How many times around?
-
This may be nitpicking, but can this thing truly be called 100% electronic considering the coil is technically mechanical? At any rate, someone must have had a bad dream to think that thing up. LOL
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
hmmm...Averagesupernova said:...
This may be nitpicking, but can this thing truly be called 100% electronic considering the coil is technically mechanical?
...
per wiki; "As of February 2016, 97% of all articles in Wikipedia eventually lead to the article Philosophy."

Science Advisor
- 2,992
- 852
OmCheeto said:After two hours of googling, I would recommend reading this persons comment from below the video, before doing the same:
Jayyy Zeee
I have a degree in computer science and electrical engineering, have been working professionally in the field for over 20 years, and I have no clue how that coil stores bits.
Google ' acoustic delay line memory ' .
There is a mercury column version as well
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Nidum said:Google ' acoustic delay line memory ' .
There is a mercury column version as well
Ummm... As I said, I googled for two hours.
My brain almost exploded...
http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/friden130.html
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/calculator_memory_technologies.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_line_memory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostriction
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/calculator_memory_technologies.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_line_memory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostriction
Are you trying to kill me?
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
No.Nidum said:Only out of scientific curiosity . Did you record the maximum pressure reached ?
But it would have been irrelevant, IMHO, if I had.
ps. Let's get back onto the... oh, poop: Old... Things.
OCR
- 996
- 936
Gauge or absolute... ?Nidum said:Did you record the maximum pressure reached ?
I ask...
Nidum said:Only out of scientific curiosity .
Science Advisor
2025 Award
- 17,252
- 10,712
There is nothing new about acoustic delay line memories. Don't forget that the integral clock and data pulse timing must be continuously received, restored and retransmitted.
One advantage of delay line memory is that the ALU need only be a one bit serial processor. Another is that CORDIC can be applied to compute the arithmetic +, −, ×, ÷ and √ using shift registers and two serial adders alone. Later, with the addition of diode array lookup tables, all the transcendental functions could be implemented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC
RPN and CORDIC went on to be used in the HP calculator range.
CORDIC was implemented in all the intel 80x87 FPU coprocessors.
One advantage of delay line memory is that the ALU need only be a one bit serial processor. Another is that CORDIC can be applied to compute the arithmetic +, −, ×, ÷ and √ using shift registers and two serial adders alone. Later, with the addition of diode array lookup tables, all the transcendental functions could be implemented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC
RPN and CORDIC went on to be used in the HP calculator range.
CORDIC was implemented in all the intel 80x87 FPU coprocessors.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Me too.DrClaude said:*speechless*
What I liked most about the video was at time 7:26 when Cliff said, "Why do I work on this? It's partly out of respect of those who came before me." Reminds me of this quote from a PF member: " ... Restoring some fine machine is honoring somebody's hard work." @Jim Hardy
Your effort is appreciated.OmCheeto said:... I googled for two hours.
My brain almost exploded...
From piano wire to silicon processors. Who would have thought ...? Thanks.Baluncore said:One advantage of delay line memory is that the ALU need only be a one bit serial processor. Another is that CORDIC can be applied to compute the arithmetic +, −, ×, ÷ and √ using shift registers and two serial adders alone. Later, with the addition of diode array lookup tables, all the transcendental functions could be implemented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC
RPN and CORDIC went on to be used in the HP calculator range.
CORDIC was implemented in all the intel 80x87 FPU coprocessors.
Steven Robinson
- 7
- 3
Best thread on the entire Internet... I am fascinated by the development of electro magnetic technology through time, and love old electrical and computer equipment. Once, I was puttering around in northern Vermont near the Canadian border, and a couple had a garage sale out. It was her late father's stuff, a former electrical engineer. It was half a dozen shelves crammed with meters, gauges, scopes, TRS-80s, Lisa's, Apple IIs, Commodore 128s, amplifiers, tools, etc.
I had to leave quick, I could feel my wallet squirming to get out of my pocket... Viewing this thread is much safer.
I had to leave quick, I could feel my wallet squirming to get out of my pocket... Viewing this thread is much safer.
darkwood
- 34
- 11
darkwood
- 34
- 11
darkwood
- 34
- 11
@dlgoff
Yes its in what used to be an old textile mill in West Yorkshire UK which it would have been operating a lift between 2 floors only.
Edit ...
Yes! I forgot to say ignore the spare lamp, there are actually 2 mercury bulbs one behind the other, the beads were used because of the flexing the conductor would go through and the insulation materials of the day wouldn't have held up to the repeated movement.
Yes its in what used to be an old textile mill in West Yorkshire UK which it would have been operating a lift between 2 floors only.
Edit ...
Yes! I forgot to say ignore the spare lamp, there are actually 2 mercury bulbs one behind the other, the beads were used because of the flexing the conductor would go through and the insulation materials of the day wouldn't have held up to the repeated movement.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I've had this air pressure regulator of a while and don't know a lot about it. It looks like it dates back to the 1920's. Check out the Bakelite knobs.
from https://lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/149
from https://lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/149
By 1926 the company name changed to The DeVilbiss Company as their product lines continued to expand to include air compressors.
Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Sometimes a little new can help the old. Like this vacuum angle valve I've added to my vacuum system. I have two Edwards E2M8 rotary pumps and with the valve, I can use the second Edwards to get a quicker pump down so I can turn on the diffusion pump sooner.
Here are the Edwards pumps:
Here are two views of the angle valve:
Adds a little beauty doesn't it?
Here are the Edwards pumps:
Here are two views of the angle valve:
Adds a little beauty doesn't it?
Attachments
