Becoming a Professor: Questions and Concerns

• Thread starter bigaggie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary: Will a master's be enough for a position somewhere as a professor?3) Do I have any other options of making this work with my job?A PhD is required for a tenured professorship in mechanical engineering at nearly every college and university in the US. The process of becoming a professor would be a tough one, involving years of graduate school (with the associated research, classes, and qualifying exams), probably years of being a post-doc to gain more experience, then about 5-10 years as an untenured professor working hard to publish and gain research funding.
bigaggie
Hi all, I graduated with a B.S. in mechanical engineering in August, started my job in November, and have definitely enjoyed myself. I like my job, it's a great company, and I definitely see myself staying here long term. But a question one of my supervisors posed to me about a month ago really stuck me: where do I see myself ending up? Obviously I don't want to stay in the entry level position forever, but I really hadn't thought of this that much.

I've done some soul searching and I think I now have a basic plan. I know that step 1 of that plan is to get my Professional Engineer's License in the state of Texas. Assuming I pass everything (and that's probably a bigger if than I want to admit), that's 4 years. Simple enough, pretty straightforward.

Step 2 is where I'm having some problems, and I'm hoping maybe someone can give me a little direction. I want to be an engineering professor. Some of my professors in college had a profound influence on my life and the direction that I went in college, and I would really like to give back in some way, plus I have always enjoyed helping others. The problem is that I'm not terribly certain how to go about achieving this. Obviously the B.S. isn't enough, so I know I need at least a Master's, and probably even a Ph.D. But in my current situation, I'm not really close to any program with a great reputation. The local "university" has a master's program in mechanical engineering, but would it be worth getting? My company will allow me to take a personal leave, but there's no guarantee that I would be given my old job once I obtained my master's, plus I would be unemployed and contractually bound not to work for anyone whilst on my personal leave. This really puts a damper on the whole "get married and start a family" portion of my life plans.

I guess to make a list of questions I'd like some help with:
1) Will a master's be enough for a position somewhere as a professor?
2) Just how important is the name on the paper?
3) Do I have any other options of making this work with my job?

Physics news on Phys.org
A PhD is required for a tenured professorship in mechanical engineering at nearly every college and university in the US. The process of becoming a professor would be a tough one, involving years of graduate school (with the associated research, classes, and qualifying exams), probably years of being a post-doc to gain more experience, then about 5-10 years as an untenured professor working hard to publish and gain research funding. Notice that little of this incorporates "helping others", which is your goal. Also, a PE means little in the academic world, so this credential wouldn't be particularly useful.

However, there is another alternative: you could teach engineering classes at a local community college or two-year college. Their requirements for a lecturer may not involve a PhD. Your PE would be evidence of practical experience and professional growth. You might be able to try out the idea by teaching a night class while you continue to work your regular job. And you'd be helping students who (often) need help getting up to speed in technical fields to get a good job in industry or to transfer to a four-year program at a college or university.

(I graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering with similar plans. After I looked into it more, I decided that a PE would be of little use in my field, and I did end up going to grad school (though not with the goal of being a professor). In my opinion, a PE is overhyped unless you need to sign off on certain engineering designs (e.g., architectural, fire protection) or plan to market yourself as an engineer to the public.)

Mapes said:
A PhD is required for a tenured professorship in mechanical engineering at nearly every college and university in the US. The process of becoming a professor would be a tough one, involving years of graduate school (with the associated research, classes, and qualifying exams), probably years of being a post-doc to gain more experience, then about 5-10 years as an untenured professor working hard to publish and gain research funding. Notice that little of this incorporates "helping others", which is your goal. Also, a PE means little in the academic world, so this credential wouldn't be particularly useful.

I was afraid that would be the situation. I really don't know if I could care less about research at the moment, which is one of the reasons I went into the workforce. When I graduated, I was almost to the point of "If I open another textbook, I'll kill someone," so I knew that I needed a job rather than go on to grad school. Maybe when I finish getting my PE I'll be more prepared. And I realize that at the moment the PE isn't really worth a whole lot to most engineers, but it's just something that I want to do (and there is potential benefit to my employer and my position, so there is that, too).

I think sometimes our university system has it really messed up. Most professors that I had were usually more interested in their research (due to trying to get tenure) than in trying to teach us the material. One that I had for dynamics was an extremely intelligent guy, and certainly knew the material well, but saw the students as more of a burden and that translated into how he taught the class. I understand why universities focus so much on research, it's where most of the money comes from, I just don't like it because it seems to detract from their intended primary function.

I'll look into the teaching at night thing, and I may also see about tutoring or something for the moment. I still have to figure out how to manage the job and grad school, but I've got about 5 years to think on that one.

I'd would recommend talking with some of those professors who inspired one.

Definitely get the PE. One should take the EIT or FE as soon as possible. I don't know if it is still the case, but at TAMU, engineering professors were more or less required (or strongly encouraged) to have a PE. Many of senior technical management I know in industry have PhDs and PEs. Many of the engineers I know have at least MS, and most probably have PE.

I would strongly encourage engineers to join the engineering society in the discipline in which they practice, ASME, ASCE, IEEE, . . . . Besides an opportunity to network with other professionals, they give one access to information, materials and opportunities.

Knowledge is the best part of your learning .. if u don't have knowledge to deliver then you have nothing.

The only time a PE is useful for a professor is if he/she wants to do some consulting work in the industry (and the industry requires the consultant to be PE certified). Other than that, it is totally useless.

1. How long does it take to become a professor?

The journey to becoming a professor can vary depending on the field of study and individual circumstances. Generally, it takes about 8-10 years of post-secondary education, including a bachelor's degree, master's degree, and a PhD. After completing your education, it can take an additional 2-3 years to secure a tenure-track position and become a professor.

2. What qualifications are required to become a professor?

To become a professor, you typically need a doctoral degree in your field of study, such as a PhD or an equivalent professional degree. In addition, you will need to demonstrate excellence in research, teaching, and service in your field. This can include publishing research articles, presenting at conferences, teaching experience, and involvement in professional organizations.

3. How competitive is the job market for professor positions?

The job market for professor positions can vary depending on the field of study and the location. Generally, it is a highly competitive market, with a limited number of tenure-track positions available. It is important to have a strong academic background and a competitive research portfolio to increase your chances of securing a position as a professor.

4. What is the tenure process like for professors?

The tenure process is a rigorous evaluation that takes place after a professor has been in a tenure-track position for a certain number of years (usually 5-7). It involves a review of the professor's research, teaching, and service activities by a committee of faculty members. Tenure is granted to those who demonstrate excellence in all three areas and show potential for continued growth and contribution to the field.

5. What are the benefits and challenges of being a professor?

Becoming a professor offers many benefits, including job stability, the opportunity to conduct research in your area of interest, and the ability to shape the minds of future generations. However, it also comes with challenges, such as the pressure to publish and secure funding, balancing teaching and research responsibilities, and the constant pursuit of tenure. It is a rewarding career, but it requires dedication, hard work, and a passion for your field of study.