1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Becoming an AP high school teacher

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone. I've been searching for some similar topics, although I didn't find one. In case a topic already exists, sorry about that.

I'm currently an undergrad studying CS, and I'd like to know whether becoming an AP teacher at a local high school requires additional coursework. For instance, do I need a credential to teach at the high school level, or is my B.Sc enough? Am I able to teach any AP course, for instance, even courses in physics and mathematics, or would I be limited to only CS?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Check out your university's education department's web site and look for information on "secondary education certification" or something like that. The rules and requirements vary from one state to another.

You'll probably need to take some additional education-related coursework, and do some student teaching. (You must have had some student teachers while you were still in school.)

Last edited: May 12, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook