Is Momentum Conserved in a Two-Object Collision?

• Thread starter sweedeljoseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the question asks for the calculation of the x and y components of the momenta of the two objects before and after the collision, as well as proving the conservation of linear momentum and calculating the kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision. The solution for part a involves using the formula p=mv, while part b requires using the data from part a to show that linear momentum is conserved. To calculate the kinetic energy, the formula ke=1/2mv^2 can be used.
sweedeljoseph

Homework Statement

Two objects of masses M1 = 1 kilogram and M2 = 4 kilograms are free to slide on a horizontal frictionless surface. The objects collide and the magnitudes and directions of the velocities of the two objects before and after the collision are shown on the diagram below. (sin 37[tex]\circ[/tex] = 0.6, cos 37[tex]\circ[/tex] = 0.8, tan37[tex]\circ[/tex] = 0.75).

*PICTURE ISNT WORKING SO HERES THE LINK*
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/1051/probfk9.jpg

a) Calculate the x and y components (px and py, respectively) of the momenta of the two objects before and after the collision.
b) Show, using the data from the previous question, that linear momentum is conserved in this collision.
c) Calculate the kinetic energy of the two-object system before and after the collision.
d) Is kinetic energy conserved in the collision?

Homework Equations

p=mv
m1*v1+m2*v2=m1'*v1'+m2'*v2'
ke=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't have all the answers from the teacher. i know how to do part a. but that's it. i don't know what else I am supposed to do after that.

the answer to part a is:
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4028/charttw5.jpg
you just use the p=mv to solve for everything.

i don't know how to do the rest. i think youre supposed to use the other formula i gave but i don't know. i need a lot of help.

thank you!
sweedeljoseph

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You simply need to do what the question says, can you calculate the kinetic energy of the system before the collision?

Hello sweedeljoseph,

Thank you for your question. I will provide a response to the content you have provided.

Firstly, for part a, you have correctly calculated the x and y components of the momenta of the two objects before and after the collision. These values will be useful for the rest of the problem.

For part b, you are correct in thinking that you need to use the conservation of linear momentum. This law states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this case, the total momentum before the collision is the sum of the momenta of the two objects, and the total momentum after the collision is the sum of the momenta of the two objects after the collision. To show that momentum is conserved, you can simply compare the values of the total momentum before and after the collision. If they are equal, then momentum is conserved. In this case, you should find that the values are the same, thus showing that momentum is conserved.

Moving on to part c, you are correct in thinking that you need to use the kinetic energy formula, ke=1/2mv^2. For this problem, you will need to calculate the kinetic energy of each object before and after the collision, and then add them together to get the total kinetic energy of the system. You can then compare the values of the total kinetic energy before and after the collision to see if kinetic energy is conserved.

Lastly, for part d, you can compare the total kinetic energy before and after the collision to see if it is conserved. If the values are the same, then kinetic energy is conserved. If not, then it is not conserved. This is an important concept to understand, as it helps us understand the behavior of objects in collisions.

I hope this response helps you. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your homework!

Sincerely,

FAQ: Is Momentum Conserved in a Two-Object Collision?

1. What is a collision?

A collision is an event in which two or more objects come into physical contact with each other, resulting in a transfer of energy and a change in motion.

2. What happens during a collision?

During a collision, the objects involved experience a force that causes them to deform or change direction. The force depends on the mass, velocity, and angle of impact of the objects.

3. What is momentum and how does it relate to collisions?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In a collision, momentum is conserved, meaning the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This allows us to analyze and predict the outcomes of collisions.

4. How does the conservation of energy apply to collisions?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In a collision, some of the initial kinetic energy of the objects may be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

5. Are there different types of collisions?

Yes, there are two main types of collisions - elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, resulting in a change in the objects' velocities.