Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Before merzbatcher

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    before reading merzbatcher for quantum mechanics,what is a good book to learn basics as i want to understand quantum mechanics from the basics.
    kindly help me in this matter. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good Question... :smile: I find Griffiths,David J.:"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" the least challanging introductory text...

Good alternatives to Merzbacher's book are Sakurai and Landau & Lifschitz...

If u really want to know why QM is as it is with mathematics,i reccomend von Neumann's "Die Mathematische Grundlagen der Quantenmechanik" (the English edition,1955) and a bit more,i think of it as "the bible",J.Prugove├žki:"Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space"...

Start with Griffiths...

Daniel.

4. Jan 18, 2005 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start with Griffiths or McGervey. From there go on to Liboff or Cohen and Tannoudji which is not too bad (although I do not like th way it is laid out with short chapters and lots of appendicies).

Messiah is one of the best, Sakauri not too bad if you know quite a bit. Mertzbacher and Schiff are about the same level. von Neumann is extremely mathematical.

I would teach a graduate course out of Schiff or Messiah, undergraduate out of McGervey.

5. Jan 20, 2005 #4
    thanks a lot for ur kind advice.iam indeed more thankful to u both!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook