Learn Quantum Mechanics Basics - Merzbatcher

• Thread starter imran
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various book recommendations for learning the basics of quantum mechanics. Some suggestions include Griffiths, David J. "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics," Sakurai, Landau & Lifschitz, von Neumann's "Die Mathematische Grundlagen der Quantenmechanik," and J. Prugoveçki's "Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space." The conversation also mentions teaching graduate and undergraduate courses using books such as Schiff and Messiah, McGervey, and Cohen and Tannoudji.
imran
before reading merzbatcher for quantum mechanics,what is a good book to learn basics as i want to understand quantum mechanics from the basics.
kindly help me in this matter. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
imran said:
before reading merzbatcher for quantum mechanics,what is a good book to learn basics as i want to understand quantum mechanics from the basics.
kindly help me in this matter. :confused:

Good Question... :smile: I find Griffiths,David J.:"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" the least challanging introductory text...

Good alternatives to Merzbacher's book are Sakurai and Landau & Lifschitz...

If u really want to know why QM is as it is with mathematics,i reccomend von Neumann's "Die Mathematische Grundlagen der Quantenmechanik" (the English edition,1955) and a bit more,i think of it as "the bible",J.Prugoveçki:"Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space"...

Start with Griffiths...

Daniel.

Start with Griffiths or McGervey. From there go on to Liboff or Cohen and Tannoudji which is not too bad (although I do not like th way it is laid out with short chapters and lots of appendicies).

Messiah is one of the best, Sakauri not too bad if you know quite a bit. Mertzbacher and Schiff are about the same level. von Neumann is extremely mathematical.

I would teach a graduate course out of Schiff or Messiah, undergraduate out of McGervey.

thanks a lot for ur kind advice.iam indeed more thankful to u both!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact with each other and with energy, and it is essential for understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

2. Who is Merzbacher and why is his book important for learning quantum mechanics basics?

Hans Merzbacher was a renowned physicist who wrote the book "Quantum Mechanics" which is widely regarded as a classic in the field. His book provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the principles and concepts of quantum mechanics, making it an important resource for anyone interested in learning the basics of this complex subject.

3. What are some key topics covered in "Learn Quantum Mechanics Basics - Merzbacher"?

Some key topics covered in this book include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum states and operators, and the Schrödinger equation. It also delves into more advanced topics such as quantum entanglement, quantum computing, and quantum field theory.

4. Is "Learn Quantum Mechanics Basics - Merzbacher" suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them. It explains complex concepts in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics.

5. How can I apply the knowledge gained from "Learn Quantum Mechanics Basics - Merzbacher" in real life?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in modern technology, such as in electronics, cryptography, and medical imaging. Understanding the basics of quantum mechanics can also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and how our world works on a microscopic level.