1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner(self study) calculus question.

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the slope of the tangent line to the parabola y = 2x - x2 at the point (2,0)

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{f(x) -f(a)}{x - a}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \frac{(2x - x^2 - (2(2) - (2)^2)}{ x - 2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{(2x - x^2 - ( term self cancels )}{ x - 2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{x(2 - x)}{x - 2} [/tex]

This is where I'm stopped. As I wrote in the thread title, I'm independently studying the subject before I have to take the course, so I don't have anyone to direct me in this endeavor. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2
    To find the slope you have to take the limit as x approaches a, by the definition of derivative.

4. Apr 12, 2009 #3
    Here's one way to do it:

1. Use the definition of derivative to find the derivative function.

f'(x) = [tex]\stackrel{lim}{h\rightarrow0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

2. At the point (2,0), x = 2, so plug in 2 for x in the derivative function.

5. Apr 12, 2009 #4
    What Dunkle said works too, if you'd like to obtain a function that will tell you the slope at every point.

Of course the way to were doing it works too, you just have to take a limit as x approaches 2 in your case.

6. Apr 12, 2009 #5

ZJM

The problem is that the difference quotient is a function in a (or h). So think of your first equation as a template. If you want to figure out the slope of the tangent line to (2, 0), plug in 2 for x in the difference quotient to obtain:

[tex]f\prime(2) = \lim_{a\rightarrow 2}\frac{f(2) - f(a)}{2 - a}[/tex]

What this equation is telling you is that the derivative of f at 2, i.e., the slope of the tangent at (2, 0), is equal to the limit of [tex]\frac{f(2) - f(a)}{2 - a}[/tex] as a approaches 2. Note that this new function is a function in a, i.e., it takes an input value a and returns the slope of secant line passing though the value of f at 2 and the value of f at a. So the limit of this new function as a approaches 2 is equal to the slope of the tangent line.

Here's how to work out the answer, so don't read this if you want to finish working it out on your own:

[tex]\lim_{a\rightarrow 2}\frac{f(2) - f(a)}{2 - a}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{a\rightarrow 2}\frac{4 - 2^{2} - 2a + a^{2}}{2 - a}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{a\rightarrow 2}\frac{-2a + a^{2}}{2 - a}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{a\rightarrow 2}\frac{(2 - a)(-a)}{2 - a}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{a\rightarrow 2}-a[/tex]

[tex]= -2[/tex]

7. Apr 12, 2009 #6
    Wow, thank you all so much for all your help. With said help I was able to complete all the exercise problems in the textbook. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook