Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner's Question Regarding Voltage Division

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    I'm pretty much a beginner trying to wrap my head around the concept of voltage division within a circuit. To help myself out, I've come up with the following circuit.

[PLAIN]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/801/voltagedivision.gif [Broken]

I am having trouble determining the voltage between various points on the circuit.

Starting with Ohms law, I know that the current in the circuit is 15V/15 ohms (or, 1A).

Given the current, I can now determine the voltage between various points of the circuit.

Between points 1 and 2, the amount of voltage is:

V=1A x 5 ohms=5V

Between points 1 and 3, the amount of voltage is:

V=1A x (5 ohms + 5 ohms)
    V=1A x 10 ohms=10V

Is this correct? Does the amount of voltage actually increase as your resistance increase? Sorry for sounding like a complete noob (which I am :) )

Additionally, say I need to supply 10V to a device that happens to be connected at point 6 on my drawing. Where is the voltage measured from? Assuming I'm correct, if you measure from point 1 to point 6, then there is 10V being supplied. However, if you measure from point 2 to point 6, there is only 5V being supplied. Which figure is accurate?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2
    Your calculations seem correct.

Current passing through a resistance make the voltage drop.

For your last questions, I don't believe I follow you very well. Electric potential is always applied / measured between two points of a circuit. Therefore, it would be difficult to add 10V at point 6.

4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    In short... yes :)

The basic answer is... yes :)

Remember that voltage is always really a potential difference between two points; it's not absolutely defined at one point in a circuit.

What is the ground point in your circuit? Your device that you're connecting must have a ground, or "another side" to the circuit, where the current flows back out.

Also... remember that in practice voltage dividers aren't useful as power supply voltage regulators to power devices from a higher voltage supply than is appropriate... this is a common beginner mistake.
  5. Jul 22, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a little interactive voltage divider you might like to play with.
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/voldiv.html" [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook