1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behavior of gaseous oxygen in a closed box under magnetic field?

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm new here, and I hope I'm doing this right. I mean posting where I should.
    Feel free to let me know. ;-)

First, I'm a biologist but I'm a scientist and I'm interested in magnets recently.
    I read that magnetic field attract oxygen liquid (all over you tube) and also gaseous since faraday.
    So far, no problem.

Now, let's put air in a box, close it and put a permanent magnet (whatever strength) on one side of the box.
    Here is my question : Is oxygen attracted on the side of the box where there is the magnet, or it's creating a convection mouvement ?
    If you have a third option, I'll take it as well. ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Vander

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2
    By the molecular configuration of oxygen, two electrons are unpaired (i.e it is paramagnetic). So, the oxygen (O2) molecule will be attracted to magnet.

4. Nov 15, 2014 #3
    Hi Godparticule,

Yes, I agree with the fact that since oxygen has two unpaired electrons it will be attracted by the magnetic field.
    Now, in a close box filled up with air (including oxygen), oxygen will still be attracted by the magnet that is on the side of it right ?

I have the feeling that the movement of oxygen molecules will create a flux inside the box and that oxygen molecules will turn around. Am I right, or this is total bullshit ?

Thanks for your answer

V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook