Behaviour of a piece of metal inside a coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of placing a piece of ferromagnetic metal under a coil with a uniform magnetic field and perpendicular to Earth's surface. The metal will be attracted to the centre of the solenoid due to the magnetic force, but will also be pulled down by gravity. The metal will ultimately rest at a point where these forces are in balance, which will likely be below the centre of the solenoid.
episage
Hello,

I was thinking about this and I'm still not sure.

I have a long coil (which has uniform magnetic field inside) and a piece of ferromagnetic.
Coil is connected to some power source and is positioned perpendicular to surface of the Earth.
If I put that piece of ferromagnetic metal underneath the coil, what will happen? (I assume that radius of coil is much bigger than radius of the metal)
Of course the metal will be sucked.
Here is my question: "how high" the piece of metal will be sucked? to the middle point of the coil? a bit below middle point?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The force attracting the metal to the centre of the solenoid will be greatest at the ends, falling to zero in the middle. Gravity will be pulling the weight of the metal downwards. The metal will rest where the forces are in balance, that will be somewhere below the centre of the solenoid.

1. What is the purpose of a coil in relation to a piece of metal?

The coil serves as an inductor, which creates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. This magnetic field interacts with the piece of metal, causing it to experience a force or induce an electric current.

2. How does the behavior of the metal inside the coil change with the amount of current flowing through the coil?

The strength of the magnetic field and the resulting force on the metal increases with the amount of current flowing through the coil. As the current increases, the metal may experience a greater force or induce a higher electric current.

3. Can the behavior of the metal inside the coil be affected by the shape or size of the coil?

Yes, the shape and size of the coil can affect the behavior of the metal inside it. A larger coil will produce a stronger magnetic field, while a differently shaped coil may produce a more concentrated or dispersed magnetic field.

4. What factors can cause the behavior of the metal inside the coil to change?

The behavior of the metal inside the coil can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric current, the shape and size of the coil, the type of metal, and the presence of other magnetic fields in the surrounding environment.

5. How does the behavior of the metal inside the coil relate to electromagnetic induction?

The behavior of the metal inside the coil is a result of electromagnetic induction, which is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. In this case, the metal acts as the conductor and the changing magnetic field is created by the flow of current through the coil.