Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behaviour of charged particle.

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    A charged particle moving through a uniform magnetic field experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of motion due to the magnetic field created around the charged particle. I would like to know if the particle were stationary and a uniform magnetic field moved past it would the nature of the force experienced by the particle be the same? If yes, would it imply that the interaction of the magnetic field with the particle is responsible for the magnetic field around the charged particle and not the motion of the particle itself? Naturally, the motion of the particle and field would have to be measured against some fixed reference frame.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi arul_k! :wink:

I'm not completely understanding the question, but anyway if an originally purely magnetic field B is moved, it becomes a mixture of a magnetic field B' and an electric field E' …

B' has no effect on the particle (because it's stationary), and the entire effect is caused by E'. :smile:

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3

so in other words there would not be any affect due to the uniform magnetic field

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! No effect due to the new uniform magnetic field. :smile:

6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    Okay. Thanks, but I was wondering dosen't the relative motion between the magnetic field and the charged particle play a part in the interaction, after all the charged particle has no way of "knowing" whether it is moving or the uniform magnetic field is moving, so why should there be two different results.

7. Dec 12, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, but the charged particle always thinks it's stationary!

so there's no choice to make …

it sees a mixed magnetic and electric field anyway. :wink:

(for example, if you study an electron "orbiting" a nucleus, you can't explain Thomas precession properly unless you measure the electromagnetic field from the point of view of the electron)
    There aren't … the result is the same, whether we regard the electron as moving or stationary.

8. Dec 15, 2009 #7

Could you explain this further please. Thanks

9. Dec 15, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I don't see what there is to explain …

what happens to the charged particle is the same, whichever frame of reference we choose.

Why do you think the results would be different? :confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook