Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Being in outer space.

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

It just got me thinking, if I were to be in outer space, and assuming there's no gravitational pull from some other mass, or it's negligble, then to what would I fall, and I don't see how I can move cause I wouldn't have any leverage.

Wouldn't I be at constant rest?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2
    I would say yes.

4. Apr 6, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, you have the right idea, except that "constant rest" implies absolute velocity (of zero in this case) which does not exist.

That is, there is no such thing as "absolute rest" which I interpret to be what you have to mean when you say "constant rest".

No matter where you are in the universe, including where you are right now OR if you were in intergalactic space well away from all gravitational bodies so that their attraction on you is negligible, you would STILL be traveling a speed N relative to other bodies, and "N" can be anything from zero up to almost the speed of light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook