Bending a beam from straight to an arc with axial force

In summary, the beam can withstand a certain amount of force before it starts to bend. The beam can be stiffened by adding an inertia column, and it should not be prebent.
Oseania
Hi,

If I have a straight beam and I start to push its ends towards each other with force F, the beam will obviously bend into an arc. What is the height/amplitude at the center of the arc when the beam length is l and the beam ends have been displaced by d. How much force (P) the center part can withstand before the beam starts to become straight again.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What research have you done so far? This sounds a bit like homework, and we need to know more about your background before we can answer appropriately.

Well, definitely not a homework. Haven’t done those in a decade. I stumbled into this problem in one design where a tall coil spring was used in a very space limited application. I started to wonder if the coil spring could be replaced with a thin metal sheet which would be bent into an arc by an external force. Mechanical engineering is not exactly my field and it has been some quite some time since I last studied strenght of materials etc. At the moment I don’t have my old books from which to check so any help into the right direction would be really helpful.

Sounds like the classical problem of the elastica. Are you up to speed on elliptic integrals?

Are you trying to permanently bend the beam, or do you want to use it as a spring? Either way, we need some dimensions and/or forces. And a diagram is always helpful.

Hi,

Here is a diagram of the problem. The steel plate could be made from some spring steel grade, eg. SAE 1080. The idea is that the plate functions as a spring so we have a repetitive cycle from straight to arc and back again. Of course in real life the plate could be pre-bent just a bit, so that the plate would always bend into the correct direction. From mathematical perspective it is probably easier to analyze the movement from straight-to-arc.
BeamBending.jpg

Attachments

• BeamBending.jpg
    BeamBending.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 646
You have an Euler column. Search the term to find the equation. Euler columns can work very well in applications where you want a rigid support that deflects at a particular load. Some things to watch for:

1) If the load is applied suddenly, the inertia of the column will (for a few milliseconds) act to stiffen the column.
2) You need to check that you do not overstress the column at peak deflection. Just run a test where you deflect it twice too far, and see if it comes back to straight.
3) A slight bevel on the ends will cause it to buckle in the desired direction. Do not prebend it.

The equation really does work. I once used some carbon fiber rods as a combination linear pushrod and Euler column overload device. They deflected at exactly the calculated load.

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman

1. How does axial force affect the bending of a beam?

Axial force, also known as compressive or tensile force, can cause a beam to bend from its original straight shape to an arc. When a beam is subjected to axial force, it experiences internal stresses that cause it to deform and bend.

2. What factors influence the amount of bending in a beam?

The amount of bending in a beam is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the axial force, the material properties of the beam, and the dimensions and geometry of the beam.

3. Can a beam be bent into a perfect arc with just axial force?

No, it is not possible to bend a beam into a perfect arc with just axial force. The amount of bending that can be achieved is limited by the material properties and dimensions of the beam. Additionally, other external forces and factors may also affect the bending of the beam.

4. How does the shape of the beam affect its response to axial force?

The shape of the beam plays a significant role in its response to axial force. A beam with a larger cross-sectional area and a shorter length will be more resistant to bending than a beam with a smaller cross-sectional area and a longer length.

5. What are the practical applications of bending a beam with axial force?

Bending a beam with axial force has various practical applications, such as in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also used in mechanical and civil engineering to design and analyze the behavior of different types of beams under different loading conditions.