Bending in structure. Small vehicle frame.

In summary, the conversation is about a structure with wheels at point E and G, and the need to determine the bending in Beam AD and EF. The dimensions and cross-sectional properties of the structure are provided, as well as the welded joints and supports at points E and G. The maximum bending moment and stress in beam AD and member EF are also calculated. The conversation also discusses the approach to finding the reactions at supports E and G and the use of the finite element method for the other members.
elsikre
Hi

I need help for this structure. It is loaded as shown - point E and G is wheels added as free bearings. I need to know the bending in Beam AD and also EF.
I tried isolating beam AD and see it as an statically inderteminant beam to the second degree - but i am not sure this is the right approach ? Can anyone help !

Thanks

Attachments

• framestructure.JPG
    framestructure.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 400
Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the dimensions of your structure, and what are the cross-sectional properties (E, A, and I) of each member? Are all joints pinned or welded? The current diagram shows all joints welded. The supports at points E and G are free to roll horizontally and free to rotate, correct? Is this a school assignment?

Hey, the dimensions are
AB = 0.6 m
BC = 0.2 m
CD = 0.2 m
AE = 0.45 m

Furthermore (for all members)
E = 200 GPa (steel)
I = 0.04 * 10^6 mm^4 (beam 30x30x3,2 mm)
A = 343.04 mm^2 (approximately)

And the beams are welded. It is for a project where we are construction a vehicle (so E and G are wheels), here is the frame shown in 3 D.

Attachments

• framestructure.JPG
    framestructure.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Isn't I = 41 650 mm^4? I assumed it is. The maximum bending moment in beam AD occurs on the left-hand end of member CD and is 62 400 N*mm. Therefore, the maximum stress in beam AD is 22.47 MPa. The maximum bending moment in member EF occurs on the left-hand end of member EF and is 35 956 N*mm. The maximum stress in member EF is 13.43 MPa.

Last edited:
If i take a look at Beam AD as free supported at A and D i get Maximum bending moment to 75 N*m by m.max = (1/8)*w*l but I guess its wrong because I didn't consider internal reactions at B and C - how did you find the momentum curves from A to D - could you tell me your approach ?

Thanks

Attachments

• bendingmoment.JPG
    bendingmoment.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 413
elsikre: The reactions at supports E and G are statically determinate; therefore, you can use statics to find the reactions at supports E and G. After you obtain those, make a section cut at joint C to determine the moment on the left-hand end of member CD. The other members are statically indeterminate, and therefore their forces are more difficult to obtain. You could use the finite element method, which is too complicated to explain on a forum.

Reactions:
Ve+Vg=600*1+400*0.6 => Ve+Vg=840
E is a hinge so moment at E=0 => so from the balance of moments at E:
0=Me=600*1*0.5+400*0.6*0.3-Vg*1=>
Vg=372 => Ve=468

IIRC you can also cut at C, to find the internal shear force Vc and the moment Mc there:
Vc+372-600*0.2=0 => Vc = 252 downwards
Mc - 372*0.2 + 600*0.2*0.1 = 0 => Mc = 62.4 "clockwise"for the part C and rightwards.

From then on things get more complicated, as it is not statically determinate...

Last edited:

1. What is bending in structure?

Bending in structure refers to the deformation or deflection of a structural component when subjected to external forces or loads. It is a common phenomenon in all types of structures, including small vehicle frames.

2. How does bending affect small vehicle frames?

Bending can significantly affect the strength, stability, and overall performance of small vehicle frames. It can cause cracks, buckling, or failure of the frame, which can compromise the safety and functionality of the vehicle.

3. What factors contribute to bending in small vehicle frames?

There are several factors that can contribute to bending in small vehicle frames, including the type and quality of materials used, the design and construction of the frame, the weight and distribution of the load, and the type of external forces acting on the frame.

4. How can bending in small vehicle frames be prevented?

To prevent bending in small vehicle frames, it is essential to use high-quality and durable materials, ensure proper design and construction techniques, and distribute the load evenly. Regular maintenance and avoiding overloading the vehicle can also help prevent bending.

5. Can bending in small vehicle frames be repaired?

In most cases, bending in small vehicle frames can be repaired by a professional mechanic or structural engineer. The extent of the damage and the type of material used in the frame will determine the best repair method, which may include welding, reinforcement, or replacement of the affected component.