1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli equation and velocity problem

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    In the Bernoulli equation, i know that velocity is in m/s and mass in N which gives energy in joules. Likewise potential energy id also in joules being mgh. In pressure energy what are the variants? i.e what is formula for calcualting the pressure energy term in the equation? If we compute everything in joules, then how the pressure energy would be calculated? i want to know formula for calculating the pressure energy term in the equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
  4. Sep 6, 2012 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The terms in Bernoulli's equation are stated as energy per unit volume. (Note that density is mass per unit volume). To convert these terms to energy terms, you need to multply by some amount of volume.

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4
    yeah, okay..but i wanted to know how to calculate the pressure energy term in the equation. e.g to calculate the kinetic energy, we used mass and velocity (m*v^2/2). Likewise how the pressure energy would be calculated. If we are given an initial value of pressure, say 100kPa (N/m^2), in some problem, what value to substitute in the equation?

6. Sep 8, 2012 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The standard form of Bernoulli's equation includes a pressure term, not a pressure energy term. The velocity term is 1/2 density velocity2 (density as opposed to mass). You need to multiply the terms by some amount of volume to get energies.

So if there was 1 meter3 of gas at 1 Pa, then the potential pressure energy would be 1 (N/m2) (m3) = 1 N m = 1 joule. If there was 1 meter3 at 100 kPa, the potential pressure energy would be 100 kilo-joules.

7. Sep 8, 2012 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

People seem to be missing what you are asking. If you are using kg, m, and s units, then use units of N/m^2 for pressure -- which is equivalent to 1 Pa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook