1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli principle or due to Viscosity?

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    Why the speed of water in the middle of the smooth flowing stream is high than its speed on the sides?

Is it due to Adhesion or cohesion forces or viscosity or Bernoulli principle holds here?
    Kindly tell me exact reason .

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is your precise reasoning for thinking Bernoulli might be relevant here?
    In particular:
    What is a streamline?

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    It is due to viscosity. You should look read about a boundary layer.

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4
    But if we apply bernoulli's principle here: I-e
    " where the pressure is high in a fluid there is low velocity and where the pressure is low in a fluid motion , velocity will be higher..
    We know that at sides there is more pressure due to Adhesion and Cohesion forces hence speed is low.
    However at middle only cohesion forces are available that low pressure hence more velocity ..

6. Apr 30, 2012 #5

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like RandomGuy88 said, all you have to think about is viscosity. Viscosity enforces the no-slip condition, i.e. the velocity at the wall relative to the wall is zero, hence you have zero velocity at the wall. In the middle it is obviously faster than zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook