Bernoullis equation and appropriate units

In summary, Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid flow. It can be derived from the conservation of energy principle and makes assumptions about the fluid being incompressible, non-viscous, and at a steady state. Its units depend on the specific form of the equation being used and it has many real-world applications in various industries and fields of study.
grscott_2000
I've just completed a question using Bernoullis equation but I am unsure of what units I should give the answer in.

By taking the units of the terms in the equation to be

Pressure density velocity density acceleration height

Nm^2 Kg m^-3 m s^-1 Kg m^-3 m s^-2 m

And then simplifying I get

N m^-1 kg^2 s^-3

This doesn't look great... Am I on the right lines though?

Physics news on Phys.org
Units should be in terms of energy J or kg m2 s-2 in SI/mks, or specific energy, m2 s-2.

Yes, you are on the right track. However, for the final answer, the units should be in terms of pressure, which is force per unit area. So the units for Bernoulli's equation would be N/m^2 or Pa (pascals). This unit is commonly used for pressure in the SI system. You can also use other units such as psi (pounds per square inch) or bar (1 bar = 100,000 Pa). It's important to make sure all the units in the equation cancel out and you are left with the correct unit for pressure.

What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid flow. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

What are the units of Bernoulli's equation?

The units of Bernoulli's equation depend on the specific form of the equation being used. However, the most commonly used form of the equation has units of energy per unit volume, such as joules per cubic meter (J/m^3) or pounds per cubic foot (lb/ft^3).

How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation can be derived from the conservation of energy principle, applying it to a small volume of fluid along a streamline. The equation takes into account the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of the fluid.

What are the assumptions made in Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, non-viscous, and flows at a steady state. It also assumes that there is no external work being done on the fluid and that the fluid flow is one-dimensional along a streamline.

What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications, including in the design of airplanes, cars, and ships. It is also used in the design of pipelines, pumps, and turbines. Additionally, it is used in weather forecasting, fluid dynamics research, and in understanding blood flow in the human body.