Thermofluids, bernoullis equation head loss

In summary: So is p/pg just a different type of Hloss ? ,because if it where the same then why would they add it twiceThere is no single "Hloss." Hloss is a unit of pressure loss, and p/pg represents the pressure drop resulting from "hydrodynamic frictional drag."
TheRedDevil18
Hi, I just have a few questions on bernoullis equation dealing with power and head loss

If the equation for power is p = mass flow rate * g * Hloss, Then is g only used when let's say a pipe is at an elevation ?, because in my book I have an example where g is not used to calculate the power and I assumed it was because the pipe was level. Also what exactly is Hloss and why is it sometimes measured in metres and sometimes in kilowatts ?, doesn't it have to do with friction so it should be in joules

Science news on Phys.org
Hello,

Can you tell me which units you use in your equation?
Normally its:
P [W] = Q [m³/s] x dP [N/m²]
[W] = [Nm/s]

Hloss is cannot be in watt. Or in m or in Pa.
If its in watt it is probably recalculated from pressure or head loss to power.

Alex.malh said:
Hello,

Can you tell me which units you use in your equation?
Normally its:
P [W] = Q [m³/s] x dP [N/m²]
[W] = [Nm/s]

Hloss is cannot be in watt. Or in m or in Pa.
If its in watt it is probably recalculated from pressure or head loss to power.

p(W) = mass flow rate(kg/s) * g(m/s2) * Hloss(m)

How does that give you watts ?

Yes, that is watt.

[kg] x [m/s²] = [N] = m x a = F
you can rewrite your equation as:
1/s x (kg x m/s²) x m
=1/s x N x m
=Nm/s
=W

TheRedDevil18 said:
p(W) = mass flow rate(kg/s) * g(m/s2) * Hloss(m)

How does that give you watts ?
##\frac{kgm}{s^2}## = N
N x m / sec = watts

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
##\frac{kgm}{s^2}## = Pa
Pa x m / sec = watts

Don't you mean N instead of Pa?

Alex.malh said:
Don't you mean N instead of Pa?
Yes. Sorry. I'll go back and edit it. Thanks for catching that.

Chet

The head loss is often used as a surrogate for the pressure loss. The head loss (in meters) is equal to the pressure loss in Pa divided by the (fluid density (kg/m^3) times g (m/s^2). So H = ΔP/(ρg). You equation for the power is equivalent to the pressure loss times the volumetric flow rate of fluid.

Chet

Ok, thanks. In an example from my book the equation for power was given as p = mass flow rate*Hloss, without the g but the units for Hloss was given in J/kg so multiplying that by the mass flow rate would give J/s = power. So basically these equations are just based on what units you are given ?

Also in benoullis equation which is

p1/pg + vel1^2/2g + z1 = p2/pg + vel2^2/2g + z2 + Hloss

You say that p/pg = Hloss, then why is it added again on the right hand side of the equation ?

Last edited:
TheRedDevil18 said:
Ok, thanks. In an example from my book the equation for power was given as p = mass flow rate*Hloss, without the g but the units for Hloss was given in J/kg so multiplying that by the mass flow rate would give J/s = power.

If the g is omitted, then there is either a mistake or they are using Imperial units.
Also in benoullis equation which is

p1/pg + vel1^2/2g + z1 = p2/pg + vel2^2/2g + z2 + Hloss

You say that p/pg = Hloss, then why is it added again on the right hand side of the equation ?
This depends on the context, which hasn't been provided. However, in this equation, it looks like they are using Hloss to represent the pressure drop resulting from "hydrodynamic frictional drag."

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If the g is omitted, then there is either a mistake or they are using Imperial units.

This depends on the context, which hasn't been provided. However, in this equation, it looks like they are using Hloss to represent the pressure drop resulting from "hydrodynamic frictional drag."

Chet

So is p/pg just a different type of Hloss ? ,because if it where the same then why would they add it twice

TheRedDevil18 said:
So is p/pg just a different type of Hloss ? ,because if it where the same then why would they add it twice
The pressures p1 and p2 appearing in this equation are the measured pressures at two locations along a flow channel. The pressure change between these two locations is determined by the change in elevation, the change in kinetic energy, and the frictional pressure loss.

Chet

1. What is thermofluids?

Thermofluids is a branch of science that studies the behavior of fluids and gases under different temperature and pressure conditions. It combines the principles of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer to analyze and understand the processes involved in the flow of fluids.

2. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant, and any changes in one of these parameters will result in changes in the others.

3. How is Bernoulli's equation used in thermofluids?

Bernoulli's equation is used in thermofluids to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems. It can be applied to calculate the pressure, velocity, and elevation changes in a fluid flow, which is essential in the design and operation of many engineering systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines.

4. What is head loss in thermofluids?

Head loss is the decrease in the total energy of a fluid flow due to friction, turbulence, or other losses. In thermofluids, it is used to describe the energy dissipation that occurs as a fluid flows through a pipe or other system. Head loss is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of a fluid system.

5. How is head loss calculated?

Head loss can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the fluid properties, pipe characteristics, and flow rate. It can also be estimated using empirical equations or through experimental tests. The goal is to minimize head loss in order to improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of fluid systems.