Bernoulli's Equation on water flow

In summary: Z: In summary, a horizontal pipe with diameters of 4.3 cm and 2.1 cm has water flowing through it at a speed of 19 m/s. During a 16 minute period, 6.32 m^3 of water flows into the atmosphere. In the left section of the pipe, the speed is 4.53 m/s and the gauge pressure is 1.6855-Patm. However, there may be some discrepancies in the calculations without a clear understanding of the pipe's configuration and pressure measurement location.
mb85
Water flows through a horizontal pipe and then out into the atmosphere at a speed v1 = 19 m/s. The diameters of the left and right sections of the pipe are 4.3 cm and 2.1 cm, respectively. (a) What volume of water flows into the atmosphere during a 16 min period? In the left section of the pipe, what are (b) the speed v2, and (c) the gauge pressure?

16 min = 960s

D1 = Area = 3.46x10^-4
D2 = Area = 1.45x10^-3

So for part A.
Rv = Av = (3.46x10^-4)(19)(960) = 6.32 m^3

For part B.
A1v1 = A2v2
(3.46x10^-4)(19) = (1.45x10^-3)v2
V2 = 4.53m/s

Im having problems with the gauge pressure:
Pgauge = Po - Patm
So for Po I am using Burnoulli's Equation

P1 - P2 = rho(g)(Y1-Y2) + 1/2 (rho)(V2^2 - V1^2)
I assumed y to be constant and equal = 0 and density of water = 1000
so i had P1 -P2 = 1/2(1000)(19^2 - 4.53^2)
so i got Pgauge = 1.6855 - Patm

But i can't get it right. can somehow help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
mb85 said:
Water flows through a horizontal pipe and then out into the atmosphere at a speed v1 = 19 m/s. The diameters of the left and right sections of the pipe are 4.3 cm and 2.1 cm, respectively. (a) What volume of water flows into the atmosphere during a 16 min period? In the left section of the pipe, what are (b) the speed v2, and (c) the gauge pressure?

But i can't get it right. can somehow help me.
It would help if you could explain the configuration of the pipe or provide a drawing. Which end is the water coming out at 19 m/s? Where is the pressure being measured?

AM

Sure, let's work through it together. First, let's define our variables:
P1 = pressure at the left section of the pipe
P2 = pressure at the right section of the pipe
ρ = density of water (1000 kg/m^3)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
Y1 = height of the water at the left section of the pipe (we can assume this to be 0)
Y2 = height of the water at the right section of the pipe (also 0 in this case)
V1 = velocity of water at the left section of the pipe (19 m/s)
V2 = velocity of water at the right section of the pipe (4.53 m/s)

Now, let's plug these values into Bernoulli's equation:
P1 + 1/2ρV1^2 + ρgy1 = P2 + 1/2ρV2^2 + ρgy2

Since Y1 and Y2 are both 0, they cancel out and we are left with:
P1 + 1/2ρV1^2 = P2 + 1/2ρV2^2

We can rearrange this equation to solve for P2:
P2 = P1 + 1/2ρV1^2 - 1/2ρV2^2

Now, let's plug in our values:
P2 = (1.6855 x 10^5 Pa) + (1/2 x 1000 kg/m^3 x (19 m/s)^2) - (1/2 x 1000 kg/m^3 x (4.53 m/s)^2)

P2 = 1.6855 x 10^5 Pa + 1/2 x 1000 kg/m^3 x 361 m^2/s^2 - 1/2 x 1000 kg/m^3 x 20.52 m^2/s^2

P2 = 1.6855 x 10^5 Pa + 180500 Pa - 10260 Pa

P2 = 1.875 x 10^5 Pa

Now, to find the gauge pressure, we need to subtract the atmospheric pressure (Patm) from P2:
Pgauge = P2 - Patm

So, if we assume atmospheric

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in motion. It states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

2. How does Bernoulli's Equation apply to water flow?

Bernoulli's Equation can be applied to water flow by considering a specific point in the flow, such as a pipe or a nozzle. It states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy at that point remains constant. This means that as the velocity of the water increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

3. What are the assumptions of Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation makes several assumptions, including that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid (no friction), and flows along a streamline. It also assumes that there is no energy loss due to heat transfer or work done by external forces.

4. When can Bernoulli's Equation be used to analyze water flow?

Bernoulli's Equation can be used to analyze water flow in situations where the assumptions hold true, such as in pipes, nozzles, and open channels. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in motion.

5. How is Bernoulli's Equation derived?

Bernoulli's Equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. By applying this principle to a fluid in motion and making certain assumptions, the equation can be derived to describe the relationship between energy and velocity in a fluid.