Which Book Best Explains Relativity for University Students?

• Thread starter Texag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about a university student seeking a better understanding of relativity. They have read "A Brief History of Time" but it did not fully explain the topic. They are looking for a book recommendation and have received suggestions such as "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James Hartle and "Spacetime Physics" by Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler. The student also mentions considering a physics minor or major at their university. They mention returning a book they purchased, "Relativity Demystified" by David McMahon, due to errors and a lack of thorough coverage of special relativity. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read the first red paperback edition of "Spac
Texag
Hello, I am a low level university student, and ever since my Electromagnetism class where we derived the wave equations and my professor gave us a brief sample on what implications they had on the way things are in the world, I've been trying to get a true understanding of the topic of relativity. I have picked up "Brief History of Time" and it was great, it showed the effects of everything but did not do such a good job in my opinion in explaining why. Now I know this might be a case of my brain needing that one special example to get it to click or it might need a complicated derivation of some kind. What I would like help on is finding a book that can give me an understanding of the topic, not just be able to predict its effects.

edit: i have done some looking on the internet, but I find that I cannot read extensive things off a computer screen, however printing something out to read would be a possibility.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Texag,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521277035/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ), who seems to be local to you [based on your earlier posts and your username]. Fulling also makes reference to some notes that available at your bookstore.

I'd also suggest
which emphasize geometric reasoning with spacetime diagrams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out earlier and got "Demystifying relativity" from a B&N, and I am having to detour and learn the operators used, since the physics classes I took only used the integral form of maxwell's equations. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I might have to check out the Schutz, since I'm considering a physics minor or major at A&M.

Texag said:
I went out earlier and got "Demystifying relativity" from a B&N, and I am having to detour and learn the operators used, since the physics classes I took only used the integral form of maxwell's equations. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I might have to check out the Schutz, since I'm considering a physics minor or major at A&M.

If you mean Relativity Demystified by David McMahon and Paul M. Alsing, I think that's a rather shallow book, more like a set of notes. I second the recommendation of Hartle for GR, though for SR I still think working through the problems in the first red paperback edition of Spacetime Physics is the best way to get a solid grounding. Rindler's books are also very good and go further with 4-vectors, though his coverage of GR is probably too eccentric for a general recommendation. Then if you want a little more of the math of SR after that, read the 2 SR chapters in Jackson.

Daverz said:
If you mean Relativity Demystified by David McMahon and Paul M. Alsing, I think that's a rather shallow book, more like a set of notes. I second the recommendation of Hartle for GR, though for SR I still think working through the problems in the first red paperback edition of Spacetime Physics is the best way to get a solid grounding. Rindler's books are also very good and go further with 4-vectors, though his coverage of GR is probably too eccentric for a general recommendation. Then if you want a little more of the math of SR after that, read the 2 SR chapters in Jackson.

Yes, its the one by McMahon. I read through the first chapter, and after I noticed a few mistakes (he switched current density and charge density at one point) I am deciding to try to return the book, also It only had a small review on SR, which I have yet to grasp. I will be returning to the store today with your recommendation in mind to see what I can find. Thanks.

Texag said:
Yes, its the one by McMahon. I read through the first chapter, and after I noticed a few mistakes (he switched current density and charge density at one point) I am deciding to try to return the book, also It only had a small review on SR, which I have yet to grasp. I will be returning to the store today with your recommendation in mind to see what I can find. Thanks.

Note that the red (or maroon as Robphy sees it) paperback 1st edition of Spacetime Physics is preferable to the second edition. It includes all the solutions for one thing, and the second edition dropped the use of rapidity for some supposed pedagogical reason.

FAQ: Which Book Best Explains Relativity for University Students?

What makes a book the best for understanding?

The best book for understanding is one that presents information in a clear and concise manner, is well-organized, and provides examples and explanations that are easy to follow. It should also be written in a style that is engaging and keeps the reader interested.

How do I choose the right book for understanding?

When choosing a book for understanding, consider your learning style and what type of information you are trying to understand. Look for recommendations from trusted sources, read reviews, and preview the book to see if it is a good fit for you.

Are there specific genres or topics that have the best books for understanding?

The best books for understanding can be found in a variety of genres and topics. It ultimately depends on the quality of the book and how well it presents the information. However, books that are well-researched and written by experts in the field tend to be better for understanding complex topics.

Are there any techniques or strategies for improving understanding while reading?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can improve understanding while reading. These include taking notes, summarizing key points, re-reading difficult passages, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and making connections.

Can I use multiple books to improve my understanding of a topic?

Yes, using multiple books can be beneficial in gaining a better understanding of a topic. Different books may present information in different ways, providing a more well-rounded understanding. However, it is important to choose books that complement each other and not simply repeat the same information.