What is the most unexpected and iconic TV series finale of all time?

In summary: And You're Out".In summary, the X-Files came up in another thread. The XF Christmas special with Ed Asner and Lily Tomlin came to mind right away, so I would have to list it among my favorite episodes. A tongue-n-cheek take on Tomlin and Asner as ghosts [previously married] who convince Mulder and Skully to shoot one another, on Christmas.
Cheers and Seinfeld!

Physics news on Phys.org
Darmok (and Jalad at Tanagra).

(Though, admittedly, it's been a long time and I just have a fuzzy memory of liking it)

Winzer said:
Cheers and Seinfeld!
Which episodes? That was the hard part of the question. Lot's of people say that "The contest" was the best ep of Seinfeld, but I don't really think that made the top ten for me.

I'd really have to wrack my memory to figure out the best Cheers episode. It would have to be an episode with Woody, though. This was one instance when a replacement character was in improvement to the show.

The "Taxi" episode where Jim gets his license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk

Ivan Seeking said:
Star Trek TOS: The Corbomite Maneuver

The Trouble With Tribbles. :biggrin:

Maybe not the best episode, but the best closing: the finale of the "Newhart Show", where at the end, Newhart wakes up in bed with his wife Emily (Suzanne Pleshettte) from his earlier "Bob Newhart Show," and says something like "Emily, I had the strangest dream... I dreamed that I was an innkeeper in Vermont."

For Star Trek, my favorite episode was "City on the Edge of Forever". McCoy goes back in time to New York City and changes history so the Enterprise doesn't exist. Kirk and Spick go back in time after McCoy to prevent him from changing history.

The episode has an interesting history behind it.

The original script (by Harlan Ellison) has an expendable guest crewmember become a drug addict and flee into the past. The drug addicted crewmember kills a legless World War I veteran and prevents the death of a social worker. Preventing the death of the social worker changes history while killing the war veteran doesn't.

In the final version actually televised, McCoy interacts with a homeless man (but doesn't kill him) and prevents the death of a war protester. The war protester results in the world being conquered by Nazis and in the non-existence of the Enterprise.

The "we'd be better off if war protesters were dead" message caused a conflict between Ellison, who opposed the Viet Nam war, and the show's producers.

Aside from the political considerations, the episode forces Kirk to make a tough decision about his girlfriend. He decides the world would be better off if she were run over by a bus.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Darmok (and Jalad at Tanagra).

(Though, admittedly, it's been a long time and I just have a fuzzy memory of liking it)
That was a good one, I think. I find I am better at remembering my reactions to episodes better than I remember the episodes themselves.

BobG said:
The "Taxi" episode where Jim gets his license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk

At 4:14 in the clip:

"what does a yellow light mean?"

go from there...
:rofl: :rofl:

daveyinaz said:
Firefly is good. any of the episodes in the short lived series.
Yes, but can you pick one or two episodes? I'm thinking Jaynestown, the one where the planet's downtrodden people have built a statue honoring Jayne.

The Dagda said:
Oh yeah SG1: Window of opportunity (the one where Colonel O'Neil and Teal'c have to keep repeating the same time period, groundhog day style)

And the one where they parody SG1 with a sci fi series: Wormhole X-Treme!

The O'Neil/Teal'c/groundhog day episode of SG1 is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Wormhole X-Treme was pretty good too! "As a matter of fact it does say 'colonel' on my uniform..."

Seinfeld - Stella!

Get Smart - the doppleganger King Charles one, using the Prisoner of Zenda's(?) Coleman, Danny Kaye's Vessel with the pestle, chalice from the palace, dragon with the flagon routine, and a favourite quote, 'beware of your head, my friend'.

Redbelly98 said:
The O'Neil/Teal'c/groundhog day episode of SG1 is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Wormhole X-Treme was pretty good too! "As a matter of fact it does say 'colonel' on my uniform..."

I like the actor Colonel, especially the out takes at the end, where he's saying "what do you mean this isn't a real series?" Good tongue in cheek irony. :biggrin:

Macgyver Coffin...

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/LTWEh2mcdsg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTWEh2mcdsg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzzyfelt said:
Get Smart - the doppleganger King Charles one, using the Prisoner of Zenda's(?) Coleman, Danny Kaye's Vessel with the pestle, chalice from the palace, dragon with the flagon routine, and a favourite quote, 'beware of your head, my friend'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2YUQMWW_jM

:rofl: Love that show.
Also, forgot to attribute Stella to The Streetcar Named desire.

The Dagda said:
I like the actor Colonel, especially the out takes at the end, where he's saying "what do you mean this isn't a real series?" Good tongue in cheek irony. :biggrin:
Oh yeah, and I loved when he said "Hey! It doesn't say 'colonel' on my uniform."

The Dagda said:
Oh yeah SG1: Window of opportunity (the one where Colonel O'Neil and Teal'c have to keep repeating the same time period, groundhog day style)

And the one where they parody SG1 with a sci fi series: Wormhole X-Treme!

Wormhole xtreme sucked, but window of opportunity owns.
my other faves r "the quest" and "1969"

Lost: Walkabout
Arrested Development: Pier Pressure

X-Files: Man In Black - With Alex Trebek and Richard Moll.

ÆON FLUX: A Last Time For Everything

I can't really think of any others at the moment.

NCIS - Season 7 Episode 1 - "Truth or Consequences"

fullmetal dwarf in the flask episode was my fav from that show.

The West Wing, "Two Cathedrals".

Back