Best material for a phone case?

• Thread starter jinxerr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: Composite case based on alumina and a padded interior is what I'd choose. Alumina is really strong and hard. You can buy it in blocks but you'd have to pay to get it machined. Alumina with specifics mixes dopants makes rubies / sapphires but the pure aluminum oxide form (alumina) is used to make tings like hip bone replacements. Ti : Sapphire lasers are used by taking 99.999% alumina mixes and doping them with Titanium ions. They use alumina in high end cell phone PCB's because it is a good conductor of heat despite being a horrible conductor of electricity. Lot's of other reasons.
jinxerr
Cost is not really an issue (to an extent). The only requirements are that it is as strong and thin as possible whilst remaining *slightly* flexible. I know very little about this so any help is appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sometimes old-fashioned tried-and-true methods are best. Would leather be too thick?

leather would be too thick really. I'm looking for an innovative material if possible... As stupid as that may sound. I just don't think what's being used at the moment is that good

jinxerr said:
As stupid as that may sound
It doesn't sound the least bit stupid. My question was just in aid of setting the parameters of your search.
Maybe ballistic nylon would suit your purpose. I don't like the stuff myself, but it's pretty popular for wallets, dart sacks, backpacks, etc.. It's very thin, quite tough, can be waterproof if treated properly, and is very flexible. I have 2 dart sacks; I keep my darts in one and my lock picks in the other.

Last edited:
What kinds of hazards are you tryin to protect the phone from? If shock is primary hazard (as in from dropping th phone) then case thickness is going to be proportional to the phones stopping distance. It is imposible for the case to be thin and absorb shock.

shock hazard is the only hazard I am interested in. The case's thickness / weight is important for aesthetics and ease of use, ultimately there will be a compromise to be found.

In terms of tensile strength etc... I only have an A* at physics GCSE lol, I am out of my depth when it comes to this stuff. I have heard about carbon nanotubes before, ballistic nylon I will look into. I am ready to step up this project now so any suggestions are welcome and thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.

You don't want something strong - which transmits the shock. You want something soft - which absorbs the shock.

ok Vanadium that makes sense. What would you suggest?

Leather was suggested and rejected. Styrofoam is better still, but even thicker.

Composite case based on alumina and a padded interior is what I'd choose. Alumina is really strong and hard. You can buy it in blocks but you'd have to pay to get it machined. Alumina with specifics mixes dopants makes rubies / sapphires but the pure aluminum oxide form (alumina) is used to make tings like hip bone replacements. Ti : Sapphire lasers are used by taking 99.999% alumina mixes and doping them wit Titanium ions. They use alumina in high end cell phone PCB's because it is a good conductor of heat despite being a horrible conductor of electricity. Lot's of other reasons.

You could make it in two pieces that slide together with excess room where i'd put something soft like leather, styrofoam ,soft polymers, etc.

Composite case based on alumina and a padded interior is what I'd choose. Alumina is really strong and hard. You can buy it in blocks but you'd have to pay to get it machined. Alumina with specifics mixes dopants makes rubies / sapphires but the pure aluminum oxide form (alumina) is used to make tings like hip bone replacements. Ti : Sapphire lasers are used by taking 99.999% alumina mixes and doping them wit Titanium ions. They use alumina in high end cell phone PCB's because it is a good conductor of heat despite being a horrible conductor of electricity. Lot's of other reasons.

You could make it in two pieces that slide together with excess room where i'd put something soft like leather, styrofoam ,soft polymers, etc.

Composite case based on alumina and a padded interior is what I'd choose. Alumina is really strong and hard. You can buy it in blocks but you'd have to pay to get it machined. Alumina with specifics mixes dopants makes rubies / sapphires but the pure aluminum oxide form (alumina) is used to make tings like hip bone replacements. Ti : Sapphire lasers are used by taking 99.999% alumina mixes and doping them with Titanium ions. They use alumina in high end cell phone PCB's because it is a good conductor of heat despite being a horrible conductor of electricity. Lot's of other reasons.

What qualities should I look for in a phone case material?

When searching for the best material for a phone case, it is important to consider durability, shock resistance, grip, and weight. A good phone case material should be able to protect your phone from drops and scratches, provide a good grip to prevent accidental slips, and not add too much extra weight to your phone.

What are the most popular materials used for phone cases?

The most popular materials used for phone cases include silicone, TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane), polycarbonate, and leather. These materials offer a good balance of durability, shock resistance, and grip, making them a popular choice among phone users.

Which material offers the best protection for my phone?

When it comes to protection, TPU and polycarbonate are considered to be the best options. These materials are highly shock-resistant and can absorb impact from drops and bumps. They also provide good grip and are relatively lightweight.

Are there any eco-friendly options for phone case materials?

Yes, there are eco-friendly materials that are being used for phone cases, such as bamboo, cork, and recycled plastics. These materials are sustainable and biodegradable, making them a more environmentally friendly choice.

What are some factors to consider when choosing a phone case material?

In addition to the qualities mentioned earlier, other factors to consider include the design and style of the case, the level of protection needed for your specific phone model, and personal preferences such as color and texture. It is also important to make sure the material is compatible with wireless charging if that is a feature you use regularly.