Best Mathematics / Physics software

In summary: I'm too young for slide rules (I have three which were passed down to me by various others and don't use them very efficiently).
BL4CKB0X97
Hello.

I have noticed that a fair amount of stuff on this forum uses various softwares, for which I am unacquainted with. Figured I might as well dabble, see of I can learn to use them.

All on Google basically say 'I'm the best!' and I trust this forums judgement more than that of others on Google.

What is the best software to get, in your opinion?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the best software is usually free software until you decide the paid one works better.

There are several varieties of MATLAB clones as MATLAB is used a lot by engineers and scientists doing a lot of computational work. Matlab costs a lot though and so alternatives have popped up like Octave and Scilab and are sumarized here:

http://dspguru.com/dsp/links/matlab-clones/

However, I'd try things like Freemat.org, a simple MATLAB clone that covers the core MATLAB language and not the various extensions.

www.freemat.sourceforge.net

The anaconda distro of Julia and Python. You get to choose your language here. Julia is also a lot like Matlab and can interface well with other numerical computing languages like C/C++, Fortran and R. I think it will replace Matlab as it matures though that may take a long time.

Anaconda incorporates many of the numerical python packages like sympy and numpy and a lot of folks use these to some pretty cool modeling.

Here's a link to setting up Julia via Anaconda and it comes with python too:

https://lectures.quantecon.org/jl/getting_started.html

Then there's libigl for 3D model viewing where you can zoom in and rotate your image around.

http://libigl.github.io/libigl/tutorial/tutorial.html

Likes Jamison Lahman and BL4CKB0X97
Dr Transport said:
Context?
Anything, It's just something to do. Any use that come out of it will be a bonus.

Something for my utility belt.

BL4CKB0X97 said:
Anything, It's just something to do. Any use that come out of it will be a bonus.

Something for my utility belt.

There are also some apps for your phone that can do some computational work like PocketCAS for iphone/ipad. You can then hang your phone on your belt.

Likes Jamison Lahman
jedishrfu said:
Well the best software is usually free software until you decide the paid one works better.

There are several varieties of MATLAB clones as MATLAB is used a lot by engineers and scientists doing a lot of computational work. Matlab costs a lot though and so alternatives have popped up like Octave and Scilab and are sumarized here:

http://dspguru.com/dsp/links/matlab-clones/

However, I'd try things like Freemat.org, a simple MATLAB clone that covers the core MATLAB language and not the various extensions.

www.freemat.sourceforge.net

The anaconda distro of Julia and Python. You get to choose your language here. Julia is also a lot like Matlab and can interface well with other numerical computing languages like C/C++, Fortran and R. I think it will replace Matlab as it matures though that may take a long time.

Anaconda incorporates many of the numerical python packages like sympy and numpy and a lot of folks use these to some pretty cool modeling.

Here's a link to setting up Julia via Anaconda and it comes with python too:

https://lectures.quantecon.org/jl/getting_started.html

Then there's libigl for 3D model viewing where you can zoom in and rotate your image around.

http://libigl.github.io/libigl/tutorial/tutorial.html
Thank you.

I downloaded a MATLAB clone GNU OCTAVE to my tablet. Works reasonably well. I have a MATLAB student license I pay yearly to get updates on which I use on my PC and my phone. I find programming on a phone to be difficult, my iPhone6 isn't all that big and the keyboard takes up most of the screen.

The student licenses are cheap and are designed to get you to get your company to buy MATLAB when you get out of school and then the bucks start flowing.

jedishrfu said:
The student licenses are cheap and are designed to get you to get your company to buy MATLAB when you get out of school and then the bucks start flowing.
That is why I use it at home, I still have a valid student ID.

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
There are also some apps for your phone that can do some computational work like PocketCAS for iphone/ipad. You can then hang your phone on your belt.
Can't tell if your serious [emoji3]. Either way, thanks.

Its a kind of historical joke. When I went to college you could tell the difference between engineers and scientists. The engineers would carry their slide rule by attaching it to their belt. It hung there like a sword. The scientists would be half sized slide rules that could be carried in their pocket protector.
twinholsters.jpg

photo.jpg

Likes Jamison Lahman
I'm too young for slide rules (I have three which were passed down to me by various others and don't use them very efficiently). When I was in high school, we had the HP (model I do not remember) but we had the carrying case which either we hung from our finger while we carried our books to class or put it on our belt like a slide rule...

s-l500.jpg

jedishrfu said:
Its a kind of historical joke. When I went to college you could tell the difference between engineers and scientists. The engineers would carry their slide rule by attaching it to their belt. It hung there like a sword. The scientists would be half sized slide rules that could be carried in their pocket protector.
twinholsters.jpg

photo.jpg
I have a pencil case for my bag and a star wars biscuit tin for my desk. What does that make me, do you think? Might provide insight to my future...

Dr Transport said:
I downloaded a MATLAB clone GNU OCTAVE to my tablet. Works reasonably well. I have a MATLAB student license I pay yearly to get updates on which I use on my PC and my phone. I find programming on a phone to be difficult, my iPhone6 isn't all that big and the keyboard takes up most of the screen.

Between Octave and Freemat for free MATLAB alternatives, I prefer Octave. With that being said, what might interest you most is the program "SageMath." It is effectively a compilation of all the best open-source math software available. For example, it has a built in Octave environment which is reportedly faster than standalone Octave and I've found to be more user-friendly with aspects such as graphing functions.

Likes egourgoulhon
Jamison Lahman said:
Between Octave and Freemat for free MATLAB alternatives, I prefer Octave. With that being said, what might interest you most is the program "SageMath." It is effectively a compilation of all the best open-source math software available. For example, it has a built in Octave environment which is reportedly faster than standalone Octave and I've found to be more user-friendly with aspects such as graphing functions.
Thank you.

1. What are some popular software programs for mathematics and physics?

Some popular software programs for mathematics and physics include MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, Maple, and MATHCAD.

2. What features should I look for in a mathematics/physics software?

When choosing a mathematics/physics software, it is important to consider its computational capabilities, graphics and visualization tools, equation solving abilities, and compatibility with other programs and languages.

3. Do I need programming experience to use mathematics/physics software?

While having some programming experience can be helpful, many mathematics/physics software programs have user-friendly interfaces and do not require extensive programming knowledge. However, a basic understanding of programming concepts can be beneficial in utilizing the full capabilities of the software.

4. Can mathematics/physics software be used for research purposes?

Yes, many researchers and scientists use mathematics/physics software in their work. These programs often have advanced features and tools that are specifically designed for research and data analysis.

5. Are there any free alternatives to commercial mathematics/physics software?

Yes, there are free open-source alternatives to commercial mathematics/physics software such as Octave, Maxima, and SageMath. These programs may not have all the features of their commercial counterparts, but they can be useful for basic calculations and simulations.