Best progression to learn Math?

• Studying
  • Thread starter John_Williams
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a parent's desire to find a good math learning path for their 4th grade child and for themselves. Suggestions are given for books and topics to cover, including Pre-Algebra and Arithmetic, as well as caution against teaching different techniques from what is taught in schools. Open Stax is recommended as a resource, but the potential issue of boredom in school is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a suggestion to start with geometry as a first step.
John_Williams
Hi,

I was hoping I could get a good idea on the best "path" or "progression" to learn math starting from around a 4th grade level. My son has become very interested in math and wants me to get him some books and teach and help him when he gets stuck. That has inspired me to learn more maths as well. I was wondering what would be a good book for him to start. Pre-Algebra maybe? I don't really know what is before that so any tips on what a 4th grader would be able to do and maybe a book that would pique his interest. For me, I plan on getting a Calculus book (suggestions welcome on the best one to get) to refresh my calculus knowledge but then I am unsure what I should take on next. Thanks in advance for helping out some Maths enthusiasts!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Open Stax has a variety of freely available books:
https://openstax.org/subjects

I think they are meant to close the gap between all the different high schools and what is expected to know at colleges. But they are rather elementary, and I assume suited.

Just two things that should be considered:
If kids learn stuff ahead of what is taught in schools anyway, they might get bored at school and this could lead to the opposite effect.
Mathematics is rather different from what is taught at school. I like to say "school math is calculation, not math."

A possible first step that avoids those conflicts would be geometry: compass, ruler, and logic.

Likes symbolipoint, hutchphd and berkeman
John_Williams said:
My son has become very interested in math and wants me to get him some books and teach and help him when he gets stuck.
Welcome to PF. That is great that your child is already interested in Math and STEM. :smile:

fresh_42 said:
Mathematics is rather different from what is taught at school. I like to say "school math is calculation, not math."
I think it's a bit worse than that, at least for basic math as taught to 6-16 year old students in the US. I believe that math is now taught to young people in schools with tricks and techniques different from the math techniques that we learned. And trying to teach a young student our old way of doing things can just confuse them when they try to do it the "school" way. I experienced that a little back 15 years ago when my kids were young, but apparently now it is much worse.

I'm not sure of the best way to handle this, but it may involve trying to get hold of some of the learning/teaching materials that will be used in your area schools when your child is in school. Do you have any contacts at your area schools?

1627141245486.png

https://www.understood.org/articles/en/9-new-math-problems-and-methods

https://www.parents.com/kids/educat...math-method-explained-for-millennial-parents/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math

John_Williams said:
Pre-Algebra maybe? I don't really know what is before that so any tips on what a 4th grader would be able to do and maybe a b
"Pre-Algebra" can often be a weaker form of "Algebra 1". It is not a bad choice to give a bridge between General Mathematics and Algebra 1, but it is unnecessary for some students. Likely unnecessary for most students.

Books for before Pre-Algebra could be basic Arithmetic and topics instructing on whole numbers, fractions, signed numbers, decimals, percents, the very many numerous applied General and Consumer Mathematics including pictorial ways to represent numerical information. Look for some treatment of prime and composite numbers within books you try to evaluate. Also, books which instruct on common Geometry can be useful. The G.E.D. Mathematics books will typically these topics of instruction. Otherwise, I have no specific books names to recommend.

I prefer to suggest skipping Pre-Algebra. Once a student has understood and spent enough effort on Arithmetic and General Mathematics, even if he has not mastered it, he can go directly to Basic Beginning Algebra. You can find good old, USED books at library book sales for very low prices. Since you studied through Calculus in your college days, you will know what to look for when you examine these. A few useful authors of these books to help identify them are: Write & New, Larson; Larson & Hostetler, Aufman; Aufman & Barker. I cannot remember some others.

fresh_42 said:
Open Stax has a variety of freely available books:
https://openstax.org/subjects

I think they are meant to close the gap between all the different high schools and what is expected to know at colleges. But they are rather elementary, and I assume suited.

Just two things that should be considered:
If kids learn stuff ahead of what is taught in schools anyway, they might get bored at school and this could lead to the opposite effect.

A possible first step that avoids those conflicts would be geometry: compass, ruler, and logic.
I do not completely agree with all of that but I like the posting anyway. Readers, use the passage for your own thinking the best ways you can. Additionally, "Geometry", the course, is one if not the only one which has a laboratory component to it (for Mathematics courses grades 1 through 12 in K-12 systems).

berkeman in post #3,

I had seen some strange and confusing instructional parts of some books in certain schools directly, several years ago. Only thing I can say is some crazy exercises shown without any meaningful motivation or identification of concept or skill to be learned.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the best way to start learning math?

The best way to start learning math is by building a strong foundation in basic concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is also important to understand the order of operations and how to solve equations.

2. Should I focus on one math topic at a time or learn multiple topics simultaneously?

It is recommended to focus on one math topic at a time and master it before moving on to the next one. This will help you build a solid understanding of each concept and prevent confusion.

3. How important is practicing math problems?

Practicing math problems is crucial for learning and mastering math. It helps improve problem-solving skills, builds confidence, and reinforces concepts. Regular practice is key to becoming proficient in math.

4. Is it better to learn math through textbooks or online resources?

Both textbooks and online resources can be effective for learning math. Textbooks provide a structured and comprehensive approach, while online resources offer interactive and visual learning experiences. It is recommended to use a combination of both for a well-rounded learning experience.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning math?

Staying motivated while learning math can be challenging, but it is important to remember that math is a fundamental skill that is used in everyday life. Set achievable goals, seek help when needed, and try to make connections between math and real-life situations to stay motivated.