Best way to learn Physics on own?

• Thread starter Cosmo16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way for a high school student to learn physics and pursue their interest in cosmology. The main points include the importance of learning math, specifically vector operations, trigonometry, and calculus, as well as suggestions to take AP Physics courses and use online resources. It is also mentioned that a high school physics course may not cover as much material as a college-level course. It is clarified that AP Physics B is algebra-based, not calculus-based.
Cosmo16
Ya see I'm a sophmore in HS and I can't learn physics for two more years. But, at the same time I am in a Science Reasearch class where we do actual research and I would like to study Cosmology. And I was wondering what the best way to learn Physics by myself is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't skimp on the math!
If you want to learn physics beyond your age level, you must also be willing to learn the requisite math that goes along with it.

I would buy a book and do TONS of practice problems. Also, you need to probably get extra help if those answers do not come out correct. I as well want to study Cosmology. I'm a Senior and plan to major in Physics and Astronomy. What I did was take AP Physics B in my Junior year and then AP Physics C in my senior year. You should consider doing that too. To prep for Physics, get a sudy book and do lots of problems until you really understand the concepts

Good luck

Ardlino- Have I ever been finding that out

urban- They don't let ne go into AP physics that early? Hmph!

Use physics resources on the Internet. There are tons of them, and I think there may be some links here on the forums somewhere.

As arildno stated: don't skip the math.

For general physics you will need to be very fluent in vector operations, trigonometry, and the calculus (if you wish to see derivations for anything or have any sort of understanding of general physics).

I would actually suggest that you spend a great more deal of time over the next years learning the math prerequisites for physics. As you can see, there are quite a few.

I can tell you that a HS physics course will be nowhere near as interesting or as concise as a college-level Calculus-based general physics course. If you practice the math, the HS physics course will be a joke - literally. The most you do in a HS physics course is projectile motion, and maybe, maybe, Newton's laws. Overall, this material covers about one-fourth of the material covered in a Calculus-based general physics course. Keep in mind the HS course will offer no derivations to any equations or principles - this requires the use of the calculus.

Last edited:
does AP Physics B use calculus or algebra? coz I am a sophomore doing general physics this year and its really easy... was wondering if i could take AP physics b next year without knowing much of calculus ( as i'll be doing pre calclus next year )

thanks

You don't need calculus in AP Physics B.

oh awrite.. is it algebra based then? coz i thought that the AP courses were calculus based.. damn :(

thanks...

What is the best way to learn Physics on my own?

The best way to learn Physics on your own is to start with the fundamentals. This includes understanding basic concepts, principles, and equations. You can then move on to solving practice problems and applying these concepts to real-world situations. Additionally, watching online lectures or reading textbooks can also be helpful in reinforcing your understanding.

Do I need a strong math background to learn Physics on my own?

While having a strong math background can certainly make it easier to learn Physics, it is not a requirement. Basic algebra and trigonometry are typically sufficient for introductory Physics courses. However, if you encounter more advanced topics in Physics, such as calculus-based concepts, having a strong foundation in math will be beneficial.

How can I stay motivated while learning Physics on my own?

Staying motivated while learning Physics on your own can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. Setting achievable goals, finding a study partner or joining a study group, and taking breaks when needed can all help keep you motivated. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the practical applications of Physics and how it can benefit your understanding of the world around you.

Are there any resources or tools that can aid in self-learning Physics?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available for self-learning Physics. Online lectures, textbooks, practice problems, and interactive simulations are all great options. Additionally, there are various online communities and forums where you can ask questions and receive help from other students or experts in the field.

How long does it take to learn Physics on my own?

The amount of time it takes to learn Physics on your own can vary depending on your prior knowledge and dedication to learning. Some people may be able to grasp basic concepts quickly, while others may need more time and practice. Additionally, the complexity of the material being learned and the amount of time you dedicate to studying each day can also impact how long it takes to learn Physics on your own.