Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best way to produce electricity

1. Jul 5, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What is the best way to produce electricity?
    Nuclear : people are afraid of leaks and waste storage problems.
    Coal: People are afraid of smoke pollution, and it may run out soon.
    Oil same as above.
    Wind inefficient and to costly.
    Wave renewable but again too costly
    Solar: it takes up to much land.

What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2015 #2
    Solar orbital is the way to go.

4. Jul 5, 2015 #3
    I think the ideal way to get about it would be to phase out oil and coal, maximize wind and solar, and let nuclear pick up the slack.

5. Jul 5, 2015 #4
    There's plenty of coal left, but emissions are a problem, fusion if we can get it to work would be a great solution but ever since I was a lad it has been twenty years away, and still is, hydro is good but as soon as you suggest flooding a valley eco fundamentalists will find a rare type of frog and put a kibosh on it, so the only solution is millions of hamster wheels hooked up to the grid.

6. Jul 5, 2015 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

"Best" in what context? It sounds like you mean utility scale. With what constraints? Money? Availability? Pollution? In what country/area? If you have a gigantic river available, it's hydro.

I do have an aging thread in the General Engineering section on this topic...

7. Jul 5, 2015 #6

wolram

Gold Member

To be specific i mean a small country like England, where we have to import oil and coal and we have no hydro electric plants, and some of our nuclear plants are due to be shut down. one idea is to harvest wave power but this would come at at cost, we have a very small amount of solar power but in this country we can not rely on the sun to shine.

8. Jul 5, 2015 #7
    That leaves out hydroelectric and geothermal.

Personally I favor:
    Nuclear: new uranium plants are safer. There is still plenty reason to believe an improved thorium reactor might be very safe. Waste storage is solve-able.
    Hydroelectric: Also provides water reservoirs. Does alter natural water flow and it bothers salmon (and any other dumb bass) to run into a dam.
    Geothermal: Needs the right heat sources, and can be expensive to build.
    Solar: Rooftop solar within the grid helps a lot with high load requirements.
    Wind: In the right places it is economical.

I like the pie-in-the-sky plans for power generation in near-earth-orbit, with transmission down a space elevator to an earth grid. Nuclear fusion has been so technically difficult that it now also has to be in the pie-in-the-sky category.

I think that the fossil fuels are more valuable in portable power applications, and the greenhouse gas model of climate indicates that electric utility reductions will be ecologically beneficial.

Generally, the preferred electric power plant is the one that is already built. For nuclear, that is especially problematic, as the last plants commissioned are already very old.

9. Jul 5, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you have any evidence for that or is that just a personal opinion?

10. Jul 6, 2015 #9
    Sorry, I blurted out a global solution as a response to a vague question with a list of environmental difficulties. I forgot what planet I am on.

11. Jul 6, 2015 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea whether you are being sarcastic, passive-aggressive, or what. So do you or do you not consider your solution to be technically viable and a serious proposal.

12. Jul 6, 2015 #11
    I retract my statement as it does not apply to the OP's situation. I don't care to dredge up an old thread it was discussed in, but I was stating it as common sense that it would not infringe on Earth's natural resources. It obviously has not been accomplished to my knowledge.

13. Jul 6, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK

You think maybe there's a reason for that?

14. Jul 6, 2015 #13
    Because space is almost as ruined as the planet?

15. Jul 6, 2015 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, there's a lot of space junk floating around in near-Earth orbit but what does that have to do with your "solution". Sounds to me like you have an ax to grind.

16. Jul 6, 2015 #15
    The way I look at it I have a planet to save. Not saying I'm any more or less to blame for the reckless abandon that is leading to its demise. Resources are running out. Scientific fact. If science's #1 goal isn't preserving its laboratory what good will it be.

17. Jul 6, 2015 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but what does that have to do with your "solution"? My point is that idealistic solutions that are not technically and/or economically viable are not actually solutions at all.

18. Jul 6, 2015 #17
    In my opinion then, the "best" in the title should have been stated
    ways to produce electricity.

19. Jul 6, 2015 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since other ways are de facto useless, I think that it's a reasonable assumption that that's what he meant, and in the post he is clearly addressing real-world issues which also leads to the conclusion that he wants a real-world discussion.

20. Jul 6, 2015 #19
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power
    Probably not profitable but probable. Junk in space would be the worst unless it had self replicating panels. Perhaps piezoelectric crystalline structures coupled with nano webbing. I don't know what is being worked on specifically but I'm sure it would be top secret, huh?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  21. Jul 6, 2015 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... why would it be top secret?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook