What is the distribution of energy for beta-minus decay?

In summary: If you were wondering why is there finite "cutoff" at 0 kinetic energy and not finite (in the sense it's zero) at 0 momentum, I don't know. This doesn't make sense... And if the parent nucleus has zero momentum in CM frame, how come there is a finite number of electrons with zero kinetic energy ? That should mean that in that case, neutrinos are also having zero kinetic energy (conservation of momentum). Now if there comes up electron with nonzero kin. energy, then neutrino should also have nonzero kin. energy, and sum of energies in this case and in the case where they are both just "standing" is different. :confused:
sniffer
i read a book and it mentioned energy spectrum of "typical" beta-minus decay. Look at the attachment.
is this correct/sensible? i thought it should look more like a normal distributed curve.

tell me if the book is wrong.

thanks.

Attachments

• betaminus-energyspectrum.GIF
    betaminus-energyspectrum.GIF
    4.3 KB · Views: 637
Physics news on Phys.org
halo guys.

can somebody help me with this simple question please ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

sniffer said:
halo guys.

can somebody help me with this simple question please ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/beta.html#c5. It was this form of the energy spectrum that has required the physicists to introduce the neutrino in the beta decay reactions.

Seratend.

I don't quite get this, either.

If the question is about why is distribution symmetrical or not, answer is given here :

"It accounts for the nuclear coulomb interaction which shifts this distribution toward lower energies because of the coulomb attraction between the daughter nucleus and the emitted electron. (It shifts the distribution upward for positrons.)"

If you were wondering why is there finite "cutoff" at 0 kinetic energy and not finite (in the sense it's zero) at 0 momentum, I don't know. This doesn't make sense...

And if the parent nucleus has zero momentum in CM frame, how come there is a finite number of electrons with zero kinetic energy ? That should mean that in that case, neutrinos are also having zero kinetic energy (conservation of momentum). Now if there comes up electron with nonzero kin. energy, then neutrino should also have nonzero kin. energy, and sum of energies in this case and in the case where they are both just "standing" is different. :confused:

1. What is a beta-minus energy spectrum?

A beta-minus energy spectrum is a graphical representation of the distribution of energy emitted during beta-minus decay, a type of radioactive decay. This spectrum shows the different energy levels of the beta particles that are emitted during the decay process.

2. How is a beta-minus energy spectrum measured?

A beta-minus energy spectrum is typically measured using a device called a beta spectrometer. This instrument detects and measures the energy of the beta particles emitted during beta-minus decay and displays the data in the form of a spectrum.

3. What information can we learn from a beta-minus energy spectrum?

A beta-minus energy spectrum can provide information about the type of radioactive material being studied and its decay process. It can also help determine the energy levels of the beta particles and the relative abundance of different energy levels.

4. What factors can affect the shape of a beta-minus energy spectrum?

The shape of a beta-minus energy spectrum can be influenced by several factors, including the type of radioactive material, the energy levels of the beta particles, and the presence of other particles or fields that may alter the decay process.

5. How is a beta-minus energy spectrum used in scientific research?

A beta-minus energy spectrum is an important tool in studying the properties of radioactive materials and their decay processes. It is used in various fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and environmental science to understand the behavior of radioactive elements and their impact on the environment and human health.