Bifurcating a Line: Expressing a Function without Horizontal Bar

• MHB
  • Thread starter caffeinemachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, there are multiple ways to stack symbols on top of each other to express a function and its mapping, including \stackrel and \overset. This can be useful when trying to avoid a horizontal bar between the function and its mapping. Additionally, \overset can be used to put a symbol on top of \mapsto.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB.

Suppose I have a function $f:X\to Y$ which sends $a$ to $b$.

I want to express this as:

Consider a function $\frac{f:X\to Y}{a\xrightarrow{h}b}$.
OR
Consider a function $\frac{f:X\to Y}{f:a\mapsto b}$.
Only thing, I don't want the 'horizontal bar' which separates $f:X\to Y$ from $a\xrightarrow{h}b$ (or $f:a\mapsto b$).

Does anybody know how to do this?

Also, is there a way to write $h$ on top of $\mapsto$ just as I can right $h$ on top of $\rightarrow$?

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Hello MHB.

Suppose I have a function $f:X\to Y$ which sends $a$ to $b$.

I want to express this as:

Consider a function $\frac{f:X\to Y}{a\xrightarrow{h}b}$.
OR
Consider a function $\frac{f:X\to Y}{f:a\mapsto b}$.
Only thing, I don't want the 'horizontal bar' which separates $f:X\to Y$ from $a\xrightarrow{h}b$ (or $f:a\mapsto b$).

Does anybody know how to do this?

Also, is there a way to write $h$ on top of $\mapsto$ just as I can right $h$ on top of $\rightarrow$?

There are various ways to stack symbols on top of each other.
For instance \stackrel:
$$\stackrel{f:X\to Y}{a\xrightarrow{h}b}$$

To put a symbol on top of \mapsto, you can use \overset{f}{\mapsto}.
$${a\overset{f}{\mapsto} b}$$

FAQ: Bifurcating a Line: Expressing a Function without Horizontal Bar

1. What is bifurcation in mathematics?

Bifurcation in mathematics refers to a point or state in a mathematical function where it splits into two distinct branches or solutions. This can occur when there is a change in a parameter or input value of the function.

2. What is a line bifurcation?

A line bifurcation is a specific type of bifurcation in which a line is used to represent a function instead of a horizontal bar. This allows for a clearer representation of the function's behavior at different input values.

3. How is a function bifurcated without a horizontal bar?

To bifurcate a function without a horizontal bar, the function is typically graphed using a line instead of a bar. The line can be drawn in a way that shows the different branches or solutions of the function at different input values.

4. What is the purpose of bifurcating a line in a function?

The purpose of bifurcating a line in a function is to better visualize and understand the behavior of the function at different input values. It can also help identify any points of instability or change in the function.

5. Are there any limitations to representing a function without a horizontal bar?

While using a line to represent a function can provide a clearer visual representation, it may not be suitable for all functions. Some functions may require a more complex representation, such as a graph with multiple lines or a 3D graph, to fully understand their behavior.