BIG quake coming in NOW - Nepal -April 25, 2015

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
USGS Research - The M7.8 Nepal Earthquake, 2015 – A Small Push to Mt. Everest
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/fy16-nepal2015/ [Broken]

On Saturday April 25 at 11:56am local time, an M7.8 earthquake began 82 km (51 mi) NW of Nepal’s capital of Kathmandu. The event was followed by many aftershocks, the largest being an M7.3 on May 12, 17 days after the mainshock. The toll included about 9000 fatalities, 23,000 injuries, more than 500,000 destroyed houses, and about 270,000 damaged houses.
The epicenter of the earthquake was west of the Kathmandu Valley, but the rupture propagated east towards the valley and the capital city of Kathmandu. The earthquake originated at a relatively shallow depth of 12-15 km (7.5-9.3 mi). The InSar data indicated that there was no surface rupture, either along a new trace or along known fault lines from previous earthquakes. Scientists subsequently confirmed this by conducting a field survey in the Kathmandu Valley. Field data and seismic data indicate that the 2015 fault rupture broke adjacent to the 1934 rupture, and it appears that a larger rupture occurred historically adjacent to the other end too. Scientists observed impressive ground fractures observed in Kausaltar, but they were the result of local site conditions and shaking, not tectonic displacement.

Shaking from the earthquake was felt in much of central Nepal, north India, west Bangladesh, and parts of Bhutan. The furthest reported shaking was in Kahuta, Pakistan. The intensity data show the shaking intensities in Kathmandu Valley were 6-7 on the 1998 European Macroseismic Scale (EMS-98). The distribution of shaking exceeded an intensity level of 8 only a few times.
There is some good graphics on the webpage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Poor Nepal. They really don't need another one again.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Poor Nepal. They really don't need another one again.
And some are still recovering from the last one :frown:

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
And some are still recovering from the last one :frown:
you did realise Borg was responding to a year old post ? :wink:

I suspect Borg didn't realise that fact LOL

Actually that wasn't entirely true .... Astronuc has posted some new information about the quake of a year ago. Borg may then have thought that it was a new event, going by his response

Dave

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
you did realise Borg was responding to a year old post ? :wink:

I suspect Borg didn't realise that fact LOL
Someone told me the other day that there was another earthquake. Now that I think about his tone when he said it, he was being sarcastic and I didn't know it. :eek:

Is this why I’m supposed to be paying attention to the news? Because ignorance will make yourself look ridiculous?? :smile::smile:

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I added the date to the title, but perhaps I should have modified the title to avoid confusion.

I wanted to give an update on the research into that particular earthquake.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Borg may then have thought that it was a new event, going by his response
Yes, I thought that it was a new event. I thought that I visited it by clicking a link in the Unanswered Threads section.