1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bijective functions and finding a composition function fg

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give a genuinely new (i.e. not discussed in class or in the book or in tutorial) example of: two sets X and Y , and two functions f : X →Y and g : Y → X, such that the composition g ◦ f is the identity function 1X : X → X, but neither f nor g are bijective. (Reminders: if f : X→ Y and g : Y → Z are two functions, then the composition g ◦ f is a function from X to Z defined by (g◦f)(x):=g(f(x))forallx∈X.The identity function1X :X→X is defined by1X(x):=x for all x ∈ X.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was just wondering since f and g are inverses of each other, wouldn't they have to be bijective in order for their composition to be the identity function X --> X? In general, I'm just very confused that if you put in a certain input, you would get the same input as an output. Wouldn't the set size of f also be equal to the set size of g?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2
    Well, suppose |X| is strictly less than |Y| and both finite. Then f wouldn't be bijective since it cannot be onto. Similarly g couldn't be bijective since it cannot be one-to-one. However, if we restrict our attention to only the subset of |Y| that is hit by f (say Z := f(X)), then f and g could be bijective on that set. This is the only thing I can think of right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook