1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing defined integral as composition of differentiable functions

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##f(t)=\int_{t}^{t^2} \frac{1}{s+\sin{s}}ds,t>1.##Express ##f## as a composition of two differentiable functions ##g:ℝ→ℝ^2## and ##h:ℝ^2→ℝ##. In addition, find the derivative of ##f## (using the composition).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I have no proper idea how to approach this problem. I know what is being asked, but how to find such functions ##g## and ##f##? Let g(t)=(t,sint) and h(x,y)=1/(x+y)? A nudge in the right direction will be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about ##g(t) = (t, t^2)##?

PS I think I can see what is intended, but if the aim is to find ##f'## I don't see why you need to consider functions of more than one variable.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. Oct 26, 2016 #3
    The problem actually consists of two parts (a and b) and the part b is to find the derivative of ##f## using the composition. ##g(t)=(t,t^2)##, well, okay, but how to find such ##h##? ##h(x,y)=\int_{x}^{y} \frac{1}{s+\sin{s}}ds##? And in part b in thinking maybe it's the reversal chain rule? It's a bit confusing.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  5. Oct 26, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ##f(t) = h(g(t))## with those definitions.

For your information, I would have split ##f## as follows:

##f(t) = f_1(t^2) - f_1(t)##

Where ##f_1(t) = \int_0^{t} k(s)ds##

Those are all differentiable functions of a single variable.

6. Oct 26, 2016 #5
    Are there other possibilities?

7. Oct 26, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There may be, but I think that is the one that the question setter intended.

8. Oct 26, 2016 #7
    By the chain rule ##\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{t}}(t)=\frac{\partial{h(g(t))}}{\partial{t}}=\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{g_1}}\frac{\partial{g_1}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{g_2}}\frac{\partial{g_2}}{\partial{t}}##

How to apply it in this case?

9. Oct 26, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, ##f## is a function of ##t##, so you can't have a partial derivative.

You need to write:

##f(t) = g(x(t), y(t)) = g(t, t^2)##

And, apply the chain rule to that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted