Expressing defined integral as composition of differentiable functions

In summary: First, ##f## is a function of ##t##, so you can't have a partial derivative.You need to write:##f(t) = g(x(t), y(t)) = g(t, t^2)##And, apply the chain rule to that.
lep11

Homework Statement

Let ##f(t)=\int_{t}^{t^2} \frac{1}{s+\sin{s}}ds,t>1.##Express ##f## as a composition of two differentiable functions ##g:ℝ→ℝ^2## and ##h:ℝ^2→ℝ##. In addition, find the derivative of ##f## (using the composition).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no proper idea how to approach this problem. I know what is being asked, but how to find such functions ##g## and ##f##? Let g(t)=(t,sint) and h(x,y)=1/(x+y)? A nudge in the right direction will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f(t)=\int_{t}^{t^2} \frac{1}{s+\sin{s}}ds,t>1.##Express ##f## as a composition of two differentiable functions ##g:ℝ→ℝ^2## and ##h:ℝ^2→ℝ##. In addition, find the derivative of ##f## (using the composition).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no proper idea how to approach this problem. I know what is being asked, but how to find such functions ##g## and ##f##? Let g(t)=(t,sint) and h(x,y)=1/(x+y)? A nudge in the right direction will be appreciated.
What about ##g(t) = (t, t^2)##?

PS I think I can see what is intended, but if the aim is to find ##f'## I don't see why you need to consider functions of more than one variable.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
What about ##g(t) = (t, t^2)##?

PS I think I can see what is intended, but if the aim is to find ##f'## I don't see why you need to consider functions of more than one variable.
The problem actually consists of two parts (a and b) and the part b is to find the derivative of ##f## using the composition. ##g(t)=(t,t^2)##, well, okay, but how to find such ##h##? ##h(x,y)=\int_{x}^{y} \frac{1}{s+\sin{s}}ds##? And in part b in thinking maybe it's the reversal chain rule? It's a bit confusing.

Last edited:
lep11 said:
The problem actually consists of two parts (a and b) and the part b is to find the derivative of ##f## using the composition. ##g(t)=(t,t^2)##, well, okay, but how to find such ##h##? ##h(x,y)=\int_{x}^{y} \frac{1}{s+\sin{s}}ds##?

Yes, ##f(t) = h(g(t))## with those definitions.

For your information, I would have split ##f## as follows:

##f(t) = f_1(t^2) - f_1(t)##

Where ##f_1(t) = \int_0^{t} k(s)ds##

Those are all differentiable functions of a single variable.

PeroK said:
Yes, ##f(t) = h(g(t))## with those definitions.
Are there other possibilities?

lep11 said:
Are there other possibilities?

There may be, but I think that is the one that the question setter intended.

By the chain rule ##\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{t}}(t)=\frac{\partial{h(g(t))}}{\partial{t}}=\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{g_1}}\frac{\partial{g_1}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{g_2}}\frac{\partial{g_2}}{\partial{t}}##

How to apply it in this case?

lep11 said:
By the chain rule ##\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{t}}(t)=\frac{\partial{h(g(t))}}{\partial{t}}=\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{g_1}}\frac{\partial{g_1}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{g_2}}\frac{\partial{g_2}}{\partial{t}}##

How to apply it in this case?

First, ##f## is a function of ##t##, so you can't have a partial derivative.

You need to write:

##f(t) = g(x(t), y(t)) = g(t, t^2)##

And, apply the chain rule to that.

1. What is the purpose of expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions?

The purpose of expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions is to simplify the evaluation of the integral. By breaking down the integral into smaller components, it becomes easier to find the antiderivatives and evaluate the integral using basic integration techniques.

2. How do you identify the differentiable functions that can be composed to express a defined integral?

In order to identify the differentiable functions that can be composed to express a defined integral, one needs to look for patterns in the integrand. Some common functions that can be composed include polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

3. What is the general process for expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions?

The general process for expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions involves recognizing the pattern in the integrand, finding the appropriate substitution, and then using basic integration techniques to evaluate the integral.

4. Are there any limitations to expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions. This method may not work for all integrals, especially those with very complex integrands. In addition, it may not always result in a simpler form of the integral.

5. How does expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions relate to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Expressing a defined integral as a composition of differentiable functions is a practical application of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that the definite integral of a function is equal to the difference of its antiderivative evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration. By using composition of differentiable functions, we can simplify the evaluation of the antiderivative and ultimately, the definite integral.